[SOLVED] PSU recommendation for 4090 + Ryzen 9 7950X3D ?

Jun 3, 2023
Hi everyone,

The GPU model ROG-STRIX-RTX4090-O24G-GAMING or the N4090AORUS M-24GD based on this:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa4A12gQTHw

In the video the guy says that the ASUS has the best cooling performance, so i considering to choose that...

I used these links for research the PSU modells:
https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/ (here on Tom's Hardware, someone in an older post, refered to this page)

I used the calculators with these parameters:
Ryzen 9 7950X3D
ATX
16GB * 2
SSD 1TB * 2
HDD 3,5” 7200 *2
FAN*2

The results:
Cooler master PSU calculator - 788W
Seasonic PSU calculator - 1600W (no requirement score, only two recommended 1600W PSUs)
MSI PSU calc Eror 404 page not found
Be quiet! Calc 877W
New Egg calc 800-899W

I'm not going to overclock, just plug it together and use it with the factory defaults.

I'm a bit confused, about the PSU model and the required power of watt. I read a bunch of posts about this topic. My conclusion from my research are these:
-Lot os users on this forum recommend especially corsair PSU 1000W and above
-Bunch of users use "older" PSU which require adapter cable for the 12VHPWR connection. It risky enough that connection i don't want to make it more uncertain. I'd stick to a native atx 3.0 PSU, because I think native better option by any adapter cabel, but that's my opinion.
-As I observed from previous post the sweet spot for 4090 between 1000W & 1600W, some says 1600W too much, some says 1000W risky because of the spikes (JayzTwoCents says, it is safer to oversize your PSU)...
-In booth links the Toughpower GF3 is mentioned a good choice, but the psu recommendation forum topic sticky post says "Thermaltake & MSI should be avoided", although the Toughpower GF3 is mentioned a good unit. Recommend seasonic, but only in the forum thread sticky post.

So these are the models which available for me (MIDEU), based on the links.
order is price high-to-low

Corsair AX1600i titan (adapter cable needed)
Seasonic Prime (adapter cable needed)
Asus Loki 1000W plat
MSI MEG Ai1300P plat
Corsair HX, HXi (adapter cable needed)
SilverStone HELA 1200R Plat
Thermaltake Toughpower SFX 1000W Gold
Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 1000W-1650W Gold
Seasonic Focus (adapter cable needed)
Corsair RMe (adapter cable needed)

corsair SHIFT ATX 3.0 native support, but this not good for me (TH core p3 case, not support it)

Others which were not considered neither of the pages:

Seasonic Vertex GX1000W+ Gold (unfortunate PX not available)
Be quiet! Dark Power 13 & Pure Power 12 M (risky brand?!)

My preferences:
-I rather buy a native ATX 3.0 support PSU without "converter/adapter cable"
-I rather buy a bit more power what i required
-I rather buy seasonic or corsair, if it safe with the adapter cable...

Of course if it's necessary I buy the most expensive PSU if it's needed, I just don't know pricey means better.
So what would be the ideal way to do this?
-A bit powerful gold grade 1200-1600W or a higher plat grade with 1000-1300W.
-adapter cable or native ATX 3.0

Thank you for your time and energy of reading this!

Solution
I'm not Jay, but here's my two cents:

1. I'd buy between 1000W and 1200W. It's not a problem to go higher, but, for reference, I use a 1200W with a 4090 and a R9 5900X and I have never seen it reach 700W. This is with a PCI-E RAID controller, 4 HDDs, water pump and a bunch of fans and lighting. Tipical system load reported by the PSU is 170W idle, 300W on light games and 600W on heavy games.

2. Most PC Brand PSUs are manufactured by others. My PSU is an ASUS ROG Thor 1200W, which is manufactured by Seasonic. The ASUS Loki is manufactured by Great Wall, who also makes mid range PSUs for Corsair. I'd look for PSUs from Seasonic, SilverStone or other brands as long as they are manufactured by a good OEM (I've seen good ones from...
I'm not Jay, but here's my two cents:

1. I'd buy between 1000W and 1200W. It's not a problem to go higher, but, for reference, I use a 1200W with a 4090 and a R9 5900X and I have never seen it reach 700W. This is with a PCI-E RAID controller, 4 HDDs, water pump and a bunch of fans and lighting. Tipical system load reported by the PSU is 170W idle, 300W on light games and 600W on heavy games.

2. Most PC Brand PSUs are manufactured by others. My PSU is an ASUS ROG Thor 1200W, which is manufactured by Seasonic. The ASUS Loki is manufactured by Great Wall, who also makes mid range PSUs for Corsair. I'd look for PSUs from Seasonic, SilverStone or other brands as long as they are manufactured by a good OEM (I've seen good ones from Seasonic, Enermax, FSP, Flextronics). Thermaltake's power delivery should be good too, I just feel the rest of their stuff feels cheap (although it's been a while since I've tried them).

3. I wouldn't worry about having to use an adapter, just secure it properly and it should be fine (I use it this way). Naturally, if you are buying a PSU now and have the opportunity to get one that's ATX 3.0 compliant that would be preferrable.

Reactions: holgman
Solution