[SOLVED] PSU shutting off after few seconds

Jan 2, 2021
Hi!

PSU: Corsair CMPSU-620HXEU - 620W

I got back yesterday after being away from home (and my PC) for 5 days. Turned my PC on (first switched my extension cord on and the psu) and started using it, after around 10mins it shut off then turned on then off and so on... so I switched the psu off. That's when I noticed the power cord wasn't fully in so I figured that was the reason (although I didn't touch it recently and my pc worked fine before my short vacation). But that didn't change anything, it turned on for a second then died, after few tries it stopped turning on. Gave it a few minutes and tried again, it turned on but only for a second or so. I figured that some protection mechanism got activated in the psu or something and I decided to leave it overnight (unplugged).

Tried again today but since I was thinking it's something to do with my PSU I didn't want to risk frying any of my other components so I unplugged everything and just tried the PSU. It turned on and stayed on, so I decided to test the 24pin to see if all the voltages are correct and everything was fine. Turned it off and was confused (it was on for maybe 4 minutes). I reconnected everything and turned my PC on. It turned off after few seconds (and on then off then on...). Confusion increasing. I decided to try the psu alone again, unplugged everything and tried turning it on. Stayed on only for a second again, and like yesterday after few tries it stopped turning on completely. Gave it around 30 mins of rest. Tried again, turned on for a second then off.
I removed the shroud, everything at first glance seems fine, nothing seems burned, capacitors look alright.

So my questions are:
  • is it the PSU? Or am I just completely wrong
  • What could have caused it?
  • (if its the PSU): what could be wrong? I know I will probably end up buying a new one but I would like to give repairing a shot, any ideas/tips/hints?
Thanks for any answers in advance

Solution
Hi!

I got back yesterday after being away from home (and my PC) for 5 days. Turned my PC on (first switched my extension cord on and the psu) and started using it, after around 10mins it shut off then turned on then off and so on... so I switched the psu off. That's when I noticed the power cord wasn't fully in so I figured that was the reason (although I didn't touch it recently and my pc worked fine before my short vacation). But that didn't change anything, it turned on for a second then died, after few tries it stopped turning on. Gave it a few minutes and tried again, it turned on but only for a second or so. I figured that some protection mechanism got activated in...
I think it's the PSU more than I think it's anything else.

"I decided to test the 24pin to see if all the voltages are correct and everything was fine. "
being they was no load....this isn't a good test.

"What could have caused it?"
Sometimes they just fail.

"(if its the PSU): what could be wrong? "
It could be a variety of things......many things.

what are your system specs?

Jan 2, 2021
being they was no load....this isn't a good test.
It could be a variety of things......many things.

What other tests could I do? (I just learning so anything I can do with basic tools?)

hahah I know it can be many things :) but I would like to narrow it down. I'm hoping some (maybe professionals) have experienced something like this before and can tell me what area I should focus on. If it's possible, I would just like to learn something from this.

Did you check yours motherboard battery ?

Checked it now, it's fine.

"What other tests could I do? "
You could run HWInfo and check the voltages in the MB section (if the MB reports them....some do....some don't).
The 3 main voltages....12, 5 and 3.3 need to stay within 5% of those values always.

" but I would like to narrow it down "
I have experienced many failed PSUs....probably hundreds. The vast majority of the time it isn't worth the time or money to investigate them....but when I have....I have found many reasons for the failure..... and in general it would be hard to narrow down.

Dubkiss

Commendable
Jan 26, 2021
What other tests could I do? (I just learning so anything I can do with basic tools?)

hahah I know it can be many things :) but I would like to narrow it down. I'm hoping some (maybe professionals) have experienced something like this before and can tell me what area I should focus on. If it's possible, I would just like to learn something from this.

Checked it now, it's fine.
how did checked the battery ?

Jan 2, 2021
You could run HWInfo ...

... isn't worth the time or money to investigate them....but when I have....I have found many reasons for the failure..... and in general it would be hard to narrow down.

Sorry if stupid question but.. how can I run HWInfo on a psu that turns on for a second? Am I misunderstanding you?

You're probably correct, but I think time and maybe money is what I need to invest if I want to learn about working with electronics a bit :sweatsmile:

And thanks for your answers I appreciate your time

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Asus GeForce GTX 980 Strix
Asrock B360M-HDV
i5-8400
That can be a bunch of things all the way down to the power switch on the case sticking.

If you trip a safety on the power supply you got to switch it off or unplug it to reset the safety.

I would start by removing and reinstalling the video card and memory, then unplug all the power supply plugs and plugging then back in then see if it will boot.

If you have a volt meter you can check the battery also you can Google how.

Edit Also you said a extension cord is used I would try it directly in the wall socket.

Hi!

I got back yesterday after being away from home (and my PC) for 5 days. Turned my PC on (first switched my extension cord on and the psu) and started using it, after around 10mins it shut off then turned on then off and so on... so I switched the psu off. That's when I noticed the power cord wasn't fully in so I figured that was the reason (although I didn't touch it recently and my pc worked fine before my short vacation). But that didn't change anything, it turned on for a second then died, after few tries it stopped turning on. Gave it a few minutes and tried again, it turned on but only for a second or so. I figured that some protection mechanism got activated in the psu or something and I decided to leave it overnight (unplugged).

Tried again today but since I was thinking it's something to do with my PSU I didn't want to risk frying any of my other components so I unplugged everything and just tried the PSU. It turned on and stayed on, so I decided to test the 24pin to see if all the voltages are correct and everything was fine. Turned it off and was confused (it was on for maybe 4 minutes). I reconnected everything and turned my PC on. It turned off after few seconds (and on then off then on...). Confusion increasing. I decided to try the psu alone again, unplugged everything and tried turning it on. Stayed on only for a second again, and like yesterday after few tries it stopped turning on completely. Gave it around 30 mins of rest. Tried again, turned on for a second then off.
I removed the shroud, everything at first glance seems fine, nothing seems burned, capacitors look alright.

So my questions are:
  • is it the PSU? Or am I just completely wrong
  • What could have caused it?
  • (if its the PSU): what could be wrong? I know I will probably end up buying a new one but I would like to give repairing a shot, any ideas/tips/hints?
Thanks for any answers in advance

Given that the HX620 was around when Jesus walked the Earth, it's probably just dying/dead. PSUs don't last forever, you know.

Solution