[SOLVED] Psu's making noise?

Johnf08

Prominent
Mar 10, 2019
Hi,
I have just finished putting together a second pc, that is located in the same room as my current pc which has been working totally fine until now. When I first started up my second pc I did notice that the psu was making a slight electric noise but I could only hear it really if I put my head very close to the psu and it is an open air case so that wouldn't help. The strange thing is though I noticed when I had the two pcs switched on (both at idle) at the same time my initial pc's psu started making a relatively load whine like noise that I can easily hear from outside the case that is starting to get quite annoying, however this noise dissapears straight away when i switch the second pc off. Pretty sure its not the psu fan as ive got it switched off at the miniute. Haven't had any problems like this before with this pc. If it helps the two psu's im using are an evga 1600 t2 and a phanteks revoltx 1200. So confused right now and was wondering if anyone had any idea or explaination of whats going on? would really appreciate any help. Cheers

Last edited:

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
Hi,
I have just finished putting together a second pc, that is located in the same room as my current pc which has been working totally fine until now. When I first started up my second pc I did notice that the psu was making a slight electric noise but I could only hear it really if I put my head very close to the psu and it is an open air case so that wouldn't help. The strange thing is though I noticed when I had the two pcs switched on (both at idle) at the same time my initial pc's psu started making a relatively load whine like noise that I can easily hear from outside the case that is starting to get quite annoying, however this noise dissapears straight away when i switch the second pc off. Pretty sure its not the psu fan as ive got it switched off at the miniute. Haven't had any problems like this before with this pc. So confused right now and was wondering if anyone had any idea or explaination of whats going on? would really appreciate any help. Cheers

That's just coil whine, I don't remember why it happens, but it's normal. I think it should only happen when your pc is using more power though.

Johnf08

Prominent
Mar 10, 2019
That's just coil whine, I don't remember why it happens, but it's normal. I think it should only happen when your pc is using more power though.

Thought that's what it was thanks, but it was more why it only happens when the two pc's are switched on that i was asking. As my initial pc operates silently until I switch on the second pc for some reason.

Thought that's what it was thanks, but it was more why it only happens when the two pc's are switched on that i was asking. As my initial pc operates silently until I switch on the second pc for some reason.

The one PC is introducing electrical noise into the mains making the other one have audible noise.

Which one is actually buzzing? The EVGA or the Phantek?

Reactions: Johnf08

Johnf08

Prominent
Mar 10, 2019
The one PC is introducing electrical noise into the mains making the other one have audible noise.

Which one is actually buzzing? The EVGA or the Phantek?

Thanks for the reply Jonnyguru. when my first pc is switched on alone the phanteks psu works totally fine and silent, as it always has. When my second pc is switched on alone the evga psu makes a quiet electric noise, and when both are switched on at once, the evga psu continues to make the same quiet noise but the phantek psu starts to make an audible electric/ buzzing noise that i can easily hear from outside the case. So its the phantek that ends up making the unpleasant buzzing.