joejackson700

Commendable
Dec 21, 2020
Is it almost gurantted that the aio's fan or pump will fail first before there being a leakage failure? Will an AIOs pump/fan fail around the same time as a normal cpu fan because they have similar warranties? Basically, will an aio be just as safe as a fan if I use them till they stop working?

Solution
Any PC hardware has the capability of being DOA, it is just the reality of electronics, but nearly every PC component is tested before leaving the factory and being packaged for shipment.

I've had heatpipe air coolers that I have tested for review which have had faulty heatpipes, so air cooling isn't immune to manufacturing error, either.

However, the 'failure' issues that most people associate to AIOs is because of 1 of 2 reasons:

1. There actually is a failure
  2. User installation failure

Of course, if you Google for 'AIO failures' you will get a list of forums discussing it, which is what you wanted to find. Of the millions of AIO units sold per year, an incredibly small percentage actually fall into the 'failure'...
Impossible to answer, as there will never be a guarantee.
Typically though, fans last for an exceptionally long time if they are properly made.
Pumps will age, and tend to break down sooner and more often than fans would.
Leaks are a different matter entirely, its not so much about age/use causing leaks, but rather random chance. Of course all components are prone to random failure, but some only damage themselves.

It is a sound concept to trust AIOs just about as long as their warranty period for proper function, but random failure could happen day 1.
Of course, if a heatsink fan fails you just replace the fan. If an AIO leaks you are out the whole system, and despite what you may read online AIO manufacturers do not provide equipment replacement as results of a leak as part of an official policy. Yes they have replaced damaged components before, but its not a written policy so dont plan on it.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Any PC hardware has the capability of being DOA, it is just the reality of electronics, but nearly every PC component is tested before leaving the factory and being packaged for shipment.

I've had heatpipe air coolers that I have tested for review which have had faulty heatpipes, so air cooling isn't immune to manufacturing error, either.

However, the 'failure' issues that most people associate to AIOs is because of 1 of 2 reasons:

1. There actually is a failure
  2. User installation failure

Of course, if you Google for 'AIO failures' you will get a list of forums discussing it, which is what you wanted to find. Of the millions of AIO units sold per year, an incredibly small percentage actually fall into the 'failure' category. It is such a minuscule number in comparison to total units sold...its astronomically small.

But, you say you can find 100s or 1000s of threads where people have issues? Sure, possibly, and also over the course of several years, if you look at dates. But compared to the tens of millions of units per year sold.....

People don't call the phone or their internet service provider to tell them how great of a job they are doing, but they will call and complain when service is out.

Solution
An aio can fail from the pump, or from a radiator fan failing.
If the radiator fan fails, the cooling efficiency is reduced until you you can replace the fan.
This is similar to an air cooler.
aio coolers never come 100% full of fluid. Over time some air penetrates the fluid tubes and can cause bubbles.
These air bubbles migrate to the highest point.
This is not a big problem so long as the pump is not located as the highest point in the system.
If a fluid leak happens, the results to your parts can be catastrophic.
Fortunately that prospect is rare.
In a good case, a top air cooler can be about as effective as a 280 aio.

TRENDING THREADS