Question Put a laptop hard drive in my pc and it still thinks it’s a laptop?

PimpinHobo

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
Context on what I’m trying to do.

I have a clean 2TB hard drive that I’m trying to get a fresh install of win10 on but every time I try to install via flash drive or CD I get this, “Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu”

So, I put in my old hard drive from my laptop(that is on win10 right now) that I plan to put games and other stuff on and have the 2TB hard drive as my main. Right now my computer still thinks it’s a Toshiba laptop but it certainly isn’t.

I hope this all makes sense I know it’s a bit of a mess. Thanks for reading.

PimpinHobo

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
You are using the laptop drive as a boot drive in the other computer? That drive has the customization from Toshiba on it, which is why you are seeing the Toshiba branding.

Swapping disks between systems is not a good thing, it can cause many issues.
I’m trying to install windows on the 2TB so I can boot from that one and then convert the laptop harddrive into just another harddrive for extra space.

Makes perfect sense to me, your laptop HD has ALL THE CONFIGURATION from the laptop. Windows is not smart enough, when you are booting from the desktop to go, Oh I am in a new environment now, I should re-scan the new hardware am currently at and update all drivers accordingly.... YOU WISH. Moving to a new hardware, u basically have to install Windows from scratch there, that's it, end of story. If u are unable, find out why that HD is unwilling to boot on that machine. Is it the ONLY drive in the box? Can it be completely obliterated so Windows install sees a "clean" drive to install on?