[SOLVED] Putting Hard Drive as Primary for OS and SSD as Secondary

The SSD will actually perform better in synthetics if Windows isn't running from it. I'm not sure if this is noticeable in the real world.

Windows is constantly performing background reads and writes to the drive it is installed on. Because of this, your SSD will perform worse as its read and write speeds are split between windows and applications.

Still, Windows installed onto an HDD will be much more sluggish and is generally not recommended.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
It won't affect the performance of the SSD, but that is a supremely bad idea.

Everything interacts with the OS, so that should be on the faster drive.
The SSD will actually perform better in synthetics if Windows isn't running from it. I'm not sure if this is noticeable in the real world.

Windows is constantly performing background reads and writes to the drive it is installed on. Because of this, your SSD will perform worse as its read and write speeds are split between windows and applications.

Still, Windows installed onto an HDD will be much more sluggish and is generally not recommended.

I mean since the Operating System via my Windows 10 Education 64-bit installed on Hard Drive (SATA 3) and my SSD (Intel 900P) on secondary drive would that bottleneck the maximum speed / performance of the SSD since everything basically goto HDD first since it has Windows 10 Education 64 bit installed.

Subparprodcuts.png

seanwebster

Contributing Writer
Editor
Aug 30, 2018
Well if processes are slowed down because apps, temp data, etc are on the HDD, sure it could slow down processes done on the 905p overall. But will it? Not really likely. Do you know how computers work? What are you worried about exactly? Specifics so we can answer your actual question.

USAFRet

Titan
I mean since the Operating System via my Windows 10 Education 64-bit installed on Hard Drive (SATA 3) and my SSD (Intel 900P) on secondary drive would that bottleneck the maximum speed / performance of the SSD since everything basically goto HDD first since it has Windows 10 Education 64 bit installed.
Drives don't "bottleneck" each other like that.

Whatever is read from or written to the HDD happens at HDD speed.
Whatever is read from or written to the SSD happens at SSD speed.

Since you apparently have most of the system on the vastly slower HDD....the overall system will be slower.

Reactions: valeman2012
If you are really THAT worried about how the HDD might be affecting system performance, then I'd suggest replacing it with an SSD as well. Yes, it is rather expensive to buy a 2TB SSD, but the bottom line is either you do that, or you don't worry about it because you have no choice at any rate.

And any configuration that doesn't put the OS on the SSD is just plain dumb.

Reactions: valeman2012

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
Well if processes are slowed down because apps, temp data, etc are on the HDD, sure it could slow down processes done on the 905p overall. But will it? Not really likely. Do you know how computers work? What are you worried about exactly? Specifics so we can answer your actual question.
Not worry about anything, but just asking for some further clarification regarding this HDD on OS and SSD on Secondary (the Intel 900P) .
Basically having my Windows 10 Education 64-bit Operating system installed on a SATA 3 HARD DRIVE would not prevent the my Intel Optane 900P SSD from reaching its top "Performance" unless the OS on HDD has active applications, temporary data stored, and lots of security?

Drives don't "bottleneck" each other like that.

Whatever is read from or written to the HDD happens at HDD speed.
Whatever is read from or written to the SSD happens at SSD speed.

Since you apparently have most of the system on the vastly slower HDD....the overall system will be slower.

So it really depends how big size of the file is to have the Intel Optane 900P SSD alone to work harder.

Cause i thought my Intel Optane 900P SSD would be running the SATA 3 Speeds by having SATA 3 HDD on Primary for OS

If you are really THAT worried about how the HDD might be affecting system performance, then I'd suggest replacing it with an SSD as well. Yes, it is rather expensive to buy a 2TB SSD, but the bottom line is either you do that, or you don't worry about it because you have no choice at any rate.

And any configuration that doesn't put the OS on the SSD is just plain dumb.

I got the free Intel Optane 900P very later which is why i did not put in primary, but just asking further clarification regarding this matter that was not quite ask on the internet in 1 site. I mean you got 1 site that will say it does slow down the other says it does not and no this basic computer knowledge. This is more like advanced computer storage knowledge.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Cause i thought my Intel Optane 900P SSD would be running the SATA 3 Speeds by having SATA 3 HDD on Primary for OS
No, it doesn't work like that.

If you are copying something between the two drives, the performance is dictated by the slowest. The HDD.
As with ALL electronics....performance is dictated by the slowest device in the chain.

But, if you're just interacting with the SSD...it runs at SSD speed.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
Dayng! I want a free optane ssd.:D
Ssd as primary, hdd as secondary. Few exceptions.
It was from a giveaway that won.
No, it doesn't work like that.

If you are copying something between the two drives, the performance is dictated by the slowest. The HDD.
As with ALL electronics....performance is dictated by the slowest device in the chain.

But, if you're just interacting with the SSD...it runs at SSD speed.
How about cloning the OS on the HDD over to the 905P and then use the HDD as backup? Its such a shame to have the OS on an HDD.
What happen if a game is installed on SSD (the non OS Drive) and require to create some folders and files to use on HDD despite being on SSD.. Will that cap the SSD Intel Optane 900P to the HDD SATA 3 SPEED when the game accessing those specific files?

The file isn't loaded from the SSD through the HDD.
The files on the SSD would directly be loaded from your SSD to ram at the speed of your SSD. Files on the HDD would directly be loaded from your HDD to ram at the speed of your hard drive.
I dont know of any exceptions.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
How about cloning the OS on the HDD over to the 905P and then use the HDD as backup? Its such a shame to have the OS on an HDD.
The file isn't loaded from the SSD through the HDD.
The files on the SSD would directly be loaded from your SSD to ram at the speed of your SSD. Files on the HDD would directly be loaded from your HDD to ram at the speed of your hard drive.
I dont know of any exceptions.
Whatever resources are read off or written to the HDD happen at the speed of the HDD.
Whatever resources are read off or written to the SSD happen at the speed of the SSD.

If you are copying to and from either drive, it happens at HDD speed.

Simple as that. Mostly.
Yup pretty much going go for no more HDD when i buy my new Computer Setup and would only contain M.2 2280 Intel Optane 900P and NVMe SSD. Windows 10 Education 64-bit installed on Optane. Cause Intel Optane 900Pperform good even at the few seconds of starting to process.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
I just saw a newegg promo come through my email. Intel 660p nvme 1tb for $87.

$87 is amazing for a 1tb NVME. Wasnt long ago a 1tb hdd was a simmilar cost.
You're not really clear on how all this stuff works, are ya?
]got it long time ago but asking for clarification on some non basic specifics that was never ask on Tomhardware or other tech internet sites.[[/SIZE]/COLOR]

TRENDING THREADS