blackwood

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
Hola, folks. I'm about to begin my first build and I need some advice regarding my processor's HSF. Here's what I have purchased:

Newegg Wishlist

As you can see, I got the Intel Q9400. I do not have plans to overclock at this point.

My question is this. Will the included HSF be sufficient, or would it be worthwhile to buy another one along with some paste? I've heard that the included ones are not so bueno. If you think so, which do you recommend?

(Also, I have not purchased the monitors yet, but I am leaning towards the 22 inch. The other is a possible gift for my sis, who has an ancient CRT)

jj555298

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
As far as I know the intel stock HSF's are efficient, even for mild overclocking. The only gripe I have about them is the pushpins. However, even if you aren't overclocking most people recommend an aftermarket HSF, so if you have the extra cash I would go for one. It's pretty much the cooler it runs the longer it will last, although it will probably outlast it's usefulness either way.

blackwood

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate the input. My main priority with this build is to make it as future proof as I can for the budget. It looks like another HSF might be the way to go then.

blackwood

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
So can anyone recommend a good HSF for this processor that doesn't have the pushpins and wouldn't have any problems size-wise in my case?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
The XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V fits the 900 no problem. It comes with the backplate and works very well.

When applying thermal paste with the Xigmatek cooler, apply a thin layer across the CPU IHS (top) or across the whole base of the heatsink. The paste won't spread properly through contact because of the gaps between the heatpipes and the base.

blackwood

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009

You're awesome. Thanks a ton. I was actually looking at this one:

ZEROtherm ZEN FZ120 120mm CPU Cooler - Retail

Of course you know tons and I know jack, so I'll go with yours. Now I am running with 4 sticks of Black Pi Gskill memory. You don't think that cooler will have any trouble clearing those with the heatsinks on them, do you?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
The Zerotherm looks good too, but I haven't seen a review. I know the S1283 is good from personal experience.

My TR Ultra 120 Ex. clears the ram slots on a P45-DS3R and a P35-DQ6 no problem and the S1283 is similar. You should have no problem.

I should add, I installed two of the standard S1283s on P45-DS3Ls and they cleared the RAM no problem. I just don't have either handy to look at.

blackwood

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009

Thanks a lot, man. I'm ordering it tonight. It's the last part I needed.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Very well according to your link on the other post, sad to say because I own the TR U120EX. :lol:
It's not real clear because they don't give the fan speed on the TR U120 and it gets higher marks than the TR U120 EX, which is strange.

I can say that the two I installed worked at least as well, and one considerably better. Possibly some luck of the draw/install. My TR U120 EX could use a lapping though, but I'm just too lazy.