Discussion QHD 27'' 144hz vs UHD 27'' 60hz - Which one?

kemorno

Distinguished
May 28, 2016
Hello,

I'm looking into buying a second monitor and installing it along side with my AOC 23.8'' 24g2w1g4 on a dual wall mount.
Since i already have a good gaming monitor, i'll use this new monitor mainly for programming, 3D modelling, Digital Art (Photoshop, substance painter) and Web Design, and also some more UI intensive games like Europa Universalis, Factorio, RimWorld and similars.

I have found 2 monitors that are inside my budget (~200€). KTC H27T22 (203€) and Samsung LU28R550UQUXEN (203€ on sale 300€). They both satisfy my main needs who are:
  • resolution bigger than 1080p
  • HDR
  • 27'' (or more)
  • VESA mount
  • Frameless

A little feature comparison chart:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------KTC H27T22Samsung LU28R550UQUXEN
ResolutionQHDUHD
Refresh Rate (hz)144 (up to 165)75? (some places report 60)
HDRHDR10HDR10
Response Time1ms4ms
Screen Size27''28''
Constrast1.000:11.000:1

I've never had a monitor over FHD 1080p, so i can't really tell if i'll even notice the sharpness of UHD compared to QHD and if its worth sacrificing the refresh rate and reponse time in favour of image sharpness. High response times have bothered me in the past, so i'm also skeptical about the 4ms response time of the Samsung monitor.

Please share your thoughts, and if you have any recomendations that fit my budget (<250€) feel free to share

Hey there,

I'd prb go with the KTC. There is a huge difference in mouse smoothness with 144hz v 75hz. It feels smoother and the movement looks smoother.

1440p is kinda the sweet spot at the moment. It offers excellent clarity, but doesn't require a big GPU to run games at 4k. Still need a beefy GPU nonetheless.

For some of your work it sounds like HDR might be important to you. I'd check out both monitors on Rtings and check for which may be better in that respect.

Looking at the KTC here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPrl6PdYTe0
- It doesn't seem to have good HDR reproduction.

The Samsung is prob about the same in terms of HDR production with max brightness of 300nits, where the KTC can get a little brighter but not much. HDR on both looks a little washed out.

I'm not sure if you could get this where you live, or if the price is comparable: AOC Q27G3XMN

But is a good allround monitor with better HDR.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/best/by-resolution/1440p-quad-hd-qhd#:~:text=If you're on a,best value with this model.