Question QoS settings on router limits my internet speed to 30 mbps

Jun 20, 2020
hello, I'm using the QOS on my router in order to stop netflix/ other programs to make me lag in online games, my download speed is 85/90 mbps and upload is 5. when im using qos my speed is stuck at 30 mbps, on pc laptop and phone too, i used like 5 speed tests
what can i do ??
heres an ss : http://prntscr.com/t3juj0

With download speeds of 85/90 without QoS. Your internet service should be able to handle quite a bit of traffic. With say Netflix. You are looking at 5mbps for a single HD stream and perhaps 15mbps for UHD. Gaming typically uses very little.

Perhaps it is an issue with your ISP or their DNS server. Some ISP DNS are pretty terrible. You may want to try some other DNS to see if you get a better response time (ping). I use Google DNS servers myself although OpenDNS and Cloudflare seem well regarded. You need to try different ones to see which works best for you in your region.

You can first set the DNS manually on your computer. See which gets the best response time. Using the default from DHCP (your ISP) and then manually other providers. Then if you find one which is good. Set that DNS in your router so all devices can use it automatically. It won't hurt you if everyone is using the same DNS.

Reactions: xXGEIGERXx_
Jun 20, 2020
With download speeds of 85/90 without QoS. Your internet service should be able to handle quite a bit of traffic. With say Netflix. You are looking at 5mbps for a single HD stream and perhaps 15mbps for UHD. Gaming typically uses very little.

Perhaps it is an issue with your ISP or their DNS server. Some ISP DNS are pretty terrible. You may want to try some other DNS to see if you get a better response time (ping). I use Google DNS servers myself although OpenDNS and Cloudflare seem well regarded. You need to try different ones to see which works best for you in your region.

You can first set the DNS manually on your computer. See which gets the best response time. Using the default from DHCP (your ISP) and then manually other providers. Then if you find one which is good. Set that DNS in your router so all devices can use it automatically. It won't hurt you if everyone is using the same DNS.

I tried changing the dns on my pc to 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4 but still 30 mbp, just incase do i need my router's dns server in that screen shot? just to make sure: http://prntscr.com/t3lbr3

Could be the cpu is being overloaded by the qos rules. Your connection is pretty small but on a large connection just turning the QoS on with no rules will cap the speed at 250mbps. This is because there is a feature that lets traffic bypass the cpu but QoS rules require it be processed.

In any case you are wasting your time setting anything on your router. The QoS settings on this router are close to worthless. In addition they can only limit the upload rates the router has no ability to even attempt to do anything with download.

You likely do not need QoS at all. Netflix and other web surfing will not impact your game. Pretty much the only traffic that would is downloads and most things like steam etc you can cap the download speed in the application so it does not use all the bandwidth.

...............a addition note since you posted this on wifi forum. Any lag in games is likely caused by using wifi and not the internet. There are no settings to solve the wifi interference issues.

Jun 20, 2020
Could be the cpu is being overloaded by the qos rules. Your connection is pretty small but on a large connection just turning the QoS on with no rules will cap the speed at 250mbps. This is because there is a feature that lets traffic bypass the cpu but QoS rules require it be processed.

In any case you are wasting your time setting anything on your router. The QoS settings on this router are close to worthless. In addition they can only limit the upload rates the router has no ability to even attempt to do anything with download.

You likely do not need QoS at all. Netflix and other web surfing will not impact your game. Pretty much the only traffic that would is downloads and most things like steam etc you can cap the download speed in the application so it does not use all the bandwidth.

...............a addition note since you posted this on wifi forum. Any lag in games is likely caused by using wifi and not the internet. There are no settings to solve the wifi interference issues.

I forgot to mention that i'm using ethernet connection instantly to my router, also I bought that archer vr600 like 2 weeks ago, I tried playing without QoS on and i had nonstop ping spikes that occurs in a while, for example I can get ping spike for 2 min in a row my ping goes to 600 then goes back again to 80, sometimes I can play 1 day smoothly without any issues, also my tvs are working in the internet, theres 2 cables connected to the back of my router and it's the tvs converter that's working in the internet with 5 other tvs on and with netflix, now my problem is solved, no ping spikes anymore because I changed my upload speed to 4 so I can have a little space when others using the internet, problem is that my bandwidth is now rly low only 30 mbps, on pc laptop and all phones I tested with speed tests.
I guess tha'ts worth idk.
and to the DNS servers : do I change them here in that tab?
ss: https://prnt.sc/t3lbr3

DNS response time though will not cause any form of ping spike. It might cause something like slower initial web page loads. Once the IP address is known the communication path is opened and data is being transferred the dns is not used. The pc will even keep url/ip mappings for a short period of time so open other pages on the same web site do not results in new dns queries.

Games in general do not use DNS other than for the very first intial login. Many of the IP used by games are passed to the machine via a function internal to the game client rather than using dns. So it is highly unlikely DNS will have any affect on lag spikes in a game.

Jun 20, 2020
DNS response time though will not cause any form of ping spike. It might cause something like slower initial web page loads. Once the IP address is known the communication path is opened and data is being transferred the dns is not used. The pc will even keep url/ip mappings for a short period of time so open other pages on the same web site do not results in new dns queries.

Games in general do not use DNS other than for the very first intial login. Many of the IP used by games are passed to the machine via a function internal to the game client rather than using dns. So it is highly unlikely DNS will have any affect on lag spikes in a game.

ye I know that I just wanted to try because some guy here said it but this is not related to my ping spike, it is related to my bandwidth that decreased to 30 mbps due to qos
still no solution yet.

ye I know that I just wanted to try because some guy here said it but this is not related to my ping spike, it is related to my bandwidth that decreased to 30 mbps due to qos
still no solution yet.

Sorry, if my initial post wasn't clear. I meant for you to do away with QoS and try using a different DNS server. Since the speed of your internet connection without QoS should be plenty for handling gaming and most scenarios.

Apparently changing DNS won't help with gaming. Which I didn't know before. It's still handy to make websites more responsive with some ISP.

I am perplexed as to what could be causing the spikes. WiFi is a candidate though. Any issues like multiple networks using the same frequencies? Have you tried connecting to 5Ghz instead of 2.4Ghz? I'm not clear as to whether you are using WiFi or hardwired.

Jun 20, 2020
Sorry, if my initial post wasn't clear. I meant for you to do away with QoS and try using a different DNS server. Since the speed of your internet connection without QoS should be plenty for handling gaming and most scenarios.

Apparently changing DNS won't help with gaming. Which I didn't know before. It's still handy to make websites more responsive with some ISP.

I am perplexed as to what could be causing the spikes. WiFi is a candidate though. Any issues like multiple networks using the same frequencies? Have you tried connecting to 5Ghz instead of 2.4Ghz? I'm not clear as to whether you are using WiFi or hardwired.
yes im using wired connection, I tried few times the 2.4 ghz and I lagged harder than usual, I know that wifi is bad for gaming compared to ethernet cable because cables gets the highest piority or something, about the DNS servers yeah it got nothing to do with gaming as far as I know only with websites speed or something,
there is like 8 phones connected to my home network by wifi and 2 converter cables that working on the internet with 5 others TVS that has netflix/youtube, and then there is my cable that connects directly to my new router, so QOS or not this is the only way I can play with it without having problems
but my mbps is now stuck at 30 everytime and im starting to think its not worth it idk anymore