QOTD: Are You Going 32 or 64-bit for Win 7?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

_SirO_

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Unfortunately the 32bit version....... (My current work laptop does not support more than 2GB of RAM)

(Hey, it still works fast..... RC )

fausto

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2005
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]This IS Tricky:Vista is a resource hog. The bottom end $300~370 PCs have 3GB with dual core CPUs. Higher end models have 6~8GB. The jump of memory from 512 > 2GB for a bottom end basic PC to browse the web and check email is lame. Yeah memory is cheap, but 2~3GB to do what a 512mb PC can do just as well the year before? So yeah, 64bit with Vista IS more important.But I've installed Windows7rc on a 5 year old AMD32 2.0Ghz w/512mb. It still boot up and shuts down faster than Vista on a NEW notebook (weeks old) with 2GB. I've added another 512mb and the desktop is even more responsive.I've installed Win7 onto my notebook (1GB) with a low-end CPU, since I was about to do a clean reinstall of XP anyways, I figured why not. Win7 flys on the notebook and its only a 1GB system. Adding another GIG is easy, of course.So, since Windows7 runs GREAT with 1~2GB of RAM... then 64bit is NOT needed by the masses. Only a few games and 3D Apps can make use of 2+GB of RAM, even less can make use of 4GB. And installing 64bit Windows7 would suck up more memory if its 4GB of less.For gamers with 1GB+ video cards and 4GB of RAM, 64bit Windows7 is a must. With PC gaming going downhill, who knows. With 3 computers, 2 will be 32bit, a 3rd... maybe 64bit.If Windows7 was the bloated mess like Vista, it would be 64bit hands down.[/citation]

Pc games going down hill? that's crazy. Pc games is the largest segment in the world of Pc's and the cause for most pc innovation.

64 bit here i come!

G

It's amusing to see a lot of people still think 64 OSes are mainly useful if you have more than 4 GB of RAM.
Read up on 64-bit architectures a bit ... e.g. take a closer look at process address space, memory mapped files, data encryption routines, complex numerical analysis, and extra registers.
It's not just 4+ GB of RAM, folks.
As many have mentioned, we do need to wait for app developers to catch up, though .... a pity.
64-bit will become the norm.

horendus

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
Already using Win 7 RC 64 bit.

Games don't use 16bit colour any more, why would you still want to use a 32bit OS?

Its just the next step.

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
I'm going with neither. My dad's going with 32-bit, may have to upgrade his old radeon 9250 to run the 'eye candy' (compiz owns that 5h!+), he'll be running 64-bit when I give him my athlon 7750 when i5's come out.

msuguy71

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
64 bit windows 7 rc right now. Have had a couple issues with hardware that is not supported but otherwise no issues with the OS and its operation. Works great.

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
[citation][nom]miesc[/nom]I haven't decided yet, but probably 64 bit. My main concern with 64 bits will be extra bugs and loss of frames while gaming. Does anyone else share my concerns?[/citation]

ummmmm i have 27 games installed, from 2003 and up...and i didnt lose a single frame, i actually got a major boost in all my games. oh and those that are large address aware or have a 64 bit mode built in...64 bit rocks... so man shut up, you sound like a fool, or are running 64 bit on crappy hardware.

[citation][nom]duckmanx88[/nom]32-bit. i run nothing that needs more than 3 GB and i don't want to deal with hardware where companies don't make 64-bit drivers work properly.[/citation]

and to this comment, i have 13 computers in my house... i have yet to find anything without 64 bit drivers except some really old hardware...
i have found a few current items that dont have win 7 64 bit drivers yet, but windows vista x64 drivers ussally work, and the couple that dont i have found will have drivers before release, but windows 7 generic drivers seem to work, i just lost a couple features i never used anyways... so think and resaerch before you speak... most of us here are higher end techs and enthusiasts

Were all looking at things incorrectly - 4gb today costs LESS then 512mb years back - as technology advances, so does the figures/specs etc

Vista is not a resource hog when the "resources" are so damn cheap its not funny! Yes it uses more resources then XP, but those resources once given to a system makes the system so much more responsive, and feeding XP ~3gb doesnt make it any different from 1.5gb, giving vista 8gb makes it roar, and those "resources" can be had for ~50 US easily if you look - 50!.

32 bit should have been canned with Vista to stop people using old ancient machines with vista, then poo-pooing vista (blaming vista for being slow rather then there own system - the 5 year old pile of scrap)

[citation][nom]VioMeTrix[/nom]ummmmm i have 27 games installed, from 2003 and up...and i didnt lose a single frame, i actually got a major boost in all my games. oh and those that are large address aware or have a 64 bit mode built in...64 bit rocks... so man shut up, you sound like a fool, or are running 64 bit on crappy hardware.and to this comment, i have 13 computers in my house... i have yet to find anything without 64 bit drivers except some really old hardware...i have found a few current items that dont have win 7 64 bit drivers yet, but windows vista x64 drivers ussally work, and the couple that dont i have found will have drivers before release, but windows 7 generic drivers seem to work, i just lost a couple features i never used anyways... so think and resaerch before you speak... most of us here are higher end techs and enthusiasts[/citation]

Gotta agree here - some people do live under rocks, still

engrpiman

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Using Vista X64 business and I have windows 7 X 64 business on preorder. I made the jump when I upgraded from 2Gb to 6GB of RAM. It was a huge improvement!!

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
the only reason MS is still making a 32 bit version is because people not in the know are skeered....F that.... they were skeered when they got their first computer but did it... so get over it kids, you are holding the world back...sometimes innovation and progress has to be forced, making only 64 bit would be a good way to force and accelerate us to the next level

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... because of the multichannel sound problem in vista and 7, i gonna stay by XP for a time... i need the 5.1 out of the box... and in Vista or 7 there is just stereo in applications, that i use... like Traktor 2.6.2 and pro... there is a solution like ASIO4ALL, but that don't uses all the features in X-FI... the sound channels and features in XP runs perfectly... or maybe i don't know something... maybe someone knows a solution?... but the Win7 x64 is promising...

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
all your sound editing software will be multichannel and just fine in win 7 64 bit...if you make sure to set it in sound in control panel, and in the software/ drivers for your card... all my sound software works just fine, all my games, and honestly i dont know if it is just me, but my sound is actually cleaner. the only program i ever get sound problems in for audio editing is fruity loops pro, but i feel it has to do with other conflicts and not the OS per se... sometimes it works, sometimes doesnt, but i havent isolated what program is causing it since i run so many in conjunction with it...

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
All PCs that has 64-bit processors in my house all run Windows x64. NO EXCEPTIONS.

There's no point going backwards to 32-bit. Makes no sense.

matchboxmatt

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
64 bit. With RAM becoming so cheap and system containing 4GBs and over now, the transition to 64 bit computing has already begun with Vista. I think Windows 7 will do a great job of finishing the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.