QOTD: Are You Going 32 or 64-bit for Win 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fwaits

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
64-bit, done and done... I'm using it in RC form right now and have had 0 issues with drivers, apps, games, whatever. 64-bit is the future, bring it on.

Wayoffbase

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I switched to 64 bit when I was using vista, not long after it launched. There was quite a bit I couldn't do at the time, but most of the driver makers seem to have caught up now. Using the windows 7RC in 64 bit now.
Thankfully, both 32- and 64-bit versions are included in the same package, so you won't have to commit one way or another until you pop the disc in the drive.
In my experience, this is only true on retail and upgrade versions, not OEM, unless they changed it for 7. I bought a 32 bit windows vista upgrade, and had to order the 64 bit media for 'free' + a $10 shipping and handling charge.

Wayoffbase

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]fwaits[/nom]64-bit, done and done... I'm using it in RC form right now and have had 0 issues with drivers, apps, games, whatever. 64-bit is the future, bring it on.[/citation]
I am also of the opinion that 32 bit OS's are dead on the desktop. Netbook sales will keep them alive past their usefulness though :p

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
When (or if as I have Vista Ultimate and can't afford the ultimate version of windows 7 this time around) I decide to upgrade to Windows 7 I'll certainly stick with 64bit. The extra ram is well worth it when you can turn page filing off.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
64-bit you have to encourage the change although not completely necessary as 32 bit seems to generally fill most people needs in system requirements and specs the extra push to 64 bit would fill everyone's needs although with a little extra cost of computing power but hey most problems with 64 bit anyways is finding the alternative or compatible 32 bit version to work on it anyways.

bardia

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
32-bit. I ran 64-bit Vista on my CB Desktop since it came out and was super happy with it. But my new Sony FW Notebook has only 3gb of Ram, and since 64-bit doesn't actually increase performance short of a ram shortage, there isn't really any reason to not use 32 at the moment. RMclock is much easier to deal with in 32 as well.

That said, 32-bit W7 RC has been running AWESOME for me. Love it. It's as stable as Vista, but with some nice UI changes.

G

If there is 32bit program compatibility, and for desktops I'd probably prefer going 64, having the future in mind.

That would be a first for me!
For notebooks and netbooks 32bit for sure!

I'm not sure as to why the Atom processor supports 64bit. It is a nice feat, but mostly unused,and perhaps unnecessary for 95-99% of the people owning it.
A 64bit OS makes little sense on a device that tries to save battery.

But for desktop, yes!

G

[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]....It is a nice feat, but mostly unused,and perhaps unnecessary for 95-99% of the people owning it.A 64bit OS makes little sense on a device that tries to save battery...[/citation]
With this sentence I meant for those who use netbooks or atom-like low powered desktops.

winterblade

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
I'm running Win7 RC 64-bits and loving it, it has been a great experience, no driver problem at all except my old logitech keyboard and mouse that I am about to replace anyway, and with another 6GB of DDR3 1333 coming the choice is easy and clear, as someone said up there, 64 bits is the future.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I loaded 64bit RC1 at home, mostly to try it. If I switch to W7 at work, I'll go 64bit because our CAD apps can certainly use more memory. At home I would probably go with 32bit.

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
32-bit. i run nothing that needs more than 3 GB and i don't want to deal with hardware where companies don't make 64-bit drivers work properly.

G

32-bit, even though my lappie came with 4GB and I'll tell you why. My laptop came with vista 64-bit edition and it worked ok. No major problems at first...except for some old programs and tweak applications would not work...And almost all of my programs were running in x86 mode--they ran a bit more buggy and would crash sometimes for no reason. I installed win7 32-bit, every works as it should and not a single application crash. Maybe when applications catch up I'll switch, but I've tried both and that time is not now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS