QOTD: Are You Going Windows 7 from Vista or XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
@tuannguyen: except 7 isn't really a major release, its more of a rehash of Vista. Much like Win 98 wasn't a major release.

I'll be moving on from Vista to 7 (good excuse for a new build :) ), but we're still on XP at work, and I expect we'll stay for a bit longer. We definitely won't be visting Vista ever...

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
I was using Vista and really liked it. I just installed win7 to try it a few days ago and it deactivated my Vista. Online activation gives me the error 0x88008EFE. Tried phone activation and my call would be dropped after 5 minutes of waiting. Pissed me off. So to answer your question, I am sticking with windows 7 RC1 already.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
i WILL switch to Win 7 from Vista 64 myself...

but it won't be right away...i'll wait till SP 1 for Win 7 comes out...

i did same thing when i upgraded from Windows XP to Vista 64...

mattblum

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
Not going to upgrade my Vista laptop. Thing is far slower than I like, and I don't want to risk making it any slower. I will try Win 7 on the next box I build. The current XP main box is getting Linux.

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
XP to W7

I've tried vista a few times, we just didn't 'click'. With W7 it was love at first sight, I can see a long fulfilling relationship; at least until I get bored with it and start looking at other OS's.

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Just downloaded the free Windows 7 RC, will be installing it after i beat the game The last remnant. I judge my OS by looks, and speed. Vista beat every OS in existence by both, if 7 is better looking than i will keep it, if not than vista till windows 8. I cant stand ugly designs and ugly themes, i had to use windows Blinds to make XP look half ass decent.

zehpavora

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I will wait until I can buy my new i7 build (soon, I hope) to go straight to Win7. Since we have XP into it, I don't see why not to upgrade.

erafael

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I still keep Vista x64 SP1 and the next move would be just SP2.So far Vista works fine for me.I try not to move to the new OS for at least six months after the final release - just my rule - so far working very well:) However,reading all the reviews about Windows 7 improved graphic and memory features, it looks very tempting.I might just try RC for a couple of weeks and see,but I will still keep working on Vista as my major OS, sticking to the rule.

Currently have vista (from early pre sp1 days) - yet to test Windows 7 but no doubt a great producs, i really dont believe in the "wait for SP1" BS myths everyone craps on about - ill upgrade when im due to do a reinstall on my main system.

SDSUMarcus01

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
I dual booted windows 7 RC with xp and after just an hour I deleted the partitions and re-installed only windows 7.

So yes, I'll be moving to windows 7.

haze4peace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I'm currently on XP and will be moving to Windows 7 as soon as i build my next computer, which should be within a few months. Also going to get me a SSD *drool*

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Been using the RC1 for a few days, and have already had a few problems: 1) for some reason the installer refused to install windows on my HD unless I unplugged my other hard drives. 2) A few programs like MS Office XP and mIRC use MS agent which is not included with Win 7 so everytime I close Office or mIRC I get this annoying error message that I need to install it. Problem is when I tried to install MS agent 2.0 I got a BSOD (I guess cause It was written for XP). 3) The NVidia drivers from Windows Update would cause a blank screen on start-up. I had to install the newest beta drivers from nvidia.com to fix the problem (not that this is necessarily MS's fault but I think I might wait till the nvidia drivers mature).

Also I'm not to fond of how MS has dumbed down the interface, I guess it's supposed to make it easier for newcommers but for people like me who are used to the win XP GUI it's a pain.

Overall though I like Win 7, it seems a lot more responsive than Vista and looks a lot better than XP. The OS runs smooth as butter and what is surprising it that I am running this on a 5 year old computer (Athlon 64 3500+ and 512MB ram (less than the reccomended) + a old 1GB flash drive using ReadyBoost).

I probably won't be upgrading to Win 7 upon release though, maybe after SP1 is released and I upgrade to a newer computer.

gamefreak62

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
I only really use windows for games, and I haven't been impressed by recent game titles and so I didn't feel a need to upgrade to Vista. Most games I like are compatable with XP new or old.

Most of my work is done on Linux and I have to update and rearrange that all the time, so it wouldn't really bother me to put up with early release bugs so long as it didn't go off randomly deleting my files. Bugs do get fixed eventually (one would hope anyway).

It's supposed to be better, what with DX11/10 support, so I suppose I'll upgrade to Windows 7 when it comes out, or probably build a new PC altogether for the new games when it happens.

talys

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
home: 2 desktops vista, 3 notebooks vista, 1 desktop xp, 1 notebook xp -- as soon as it's available

work: a few vista, lots of xp -- but not sure when

Status
Not open for further replies.