QOTD: How Much Would You Pay for an iPad?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FatFunkey

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
I enjoy how 3 months later they will probably releasing another damn Ipad that will have all the features it should of had in the begging.

Yet people flock to their products like their the greatest thing since sliced bread, and fork over hundreds of dollars for a product that will be outdated and have supuier version released within the summers end.

Might as well buy some apple stock i guess, I mean hell if Apple is taking money hand over fist from sheep, might as well try to get a little bit of that via stocks....

edilee

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
What is an iPad? Did I miss something LOL. Would never own an apple product since they are all overpriced limited use junk...if one was given to me I would sell it on Ebay.

phoenixhawk

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
Anything beyond $200 puts you in Non-DRM'ed, Works with both Flash and Java, Netbook range.

It's a good idea if it wasn't for Apple pulling their same ole crap of trying to control you. It's all happened before, it will all happen again.

But I'm sure plenty of sheep will still buy it.

bloggingpig

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Realistically, it's the screen that's costing some.

eg. the Chinese have made the SmartQ 7" Linux/WinCE/Android Tablet and it sells for about $220. The smaller 5" model sells for about $150. A larger 10" LCD, especially a IPS panel, will cost a bit more.
So, you'd have to say at least $300-350 for the base unit without getting fancy.

That said, they went fancy with eco&metal parts vs. regular, plastic casing and such. Didn't go with standard battery packs, so that'll add to the manufacturing costs as well.
Break even, you'll see maybe $350-400 minimum.

Of course, if you had me buying a tablet something today, it would be the Viliv X70 for about the same $599 that iPads go for.

Why?

1) Full desktop OS = full application support.
Flash, Office, Video editing, YouTube, Firefox, Skype, etc.
FULL support, not some dumbed down iPad app or iPad's inability to view all of YouTube,etc out of the box.

2) SD card slot.
Can't imagine why them tablets out there like the Viliv, etc. have SD slots, but the iPad doesn't (despite the available space & it would have been so easy to put one in).

3) USB port.
Again, can't imagine why iPad doesn't have one while the other tablets out there do.

4) Webcam.
Ditto above. Did Apple somehow forget people use Skype? Internet chatting? etc. (Let's not get into the speculation already that Apple ripped out their camera module at the last minute.... perhaps just to push up sales... Sell the camera-less model today, make everyone upgrade later when the 'new' camera model comes out in a year.)

5) 128GB SSD HD option.
64GB is good on the iPad, but at their pricing, crazy. And 128GB is still better given the size of video downloads nowadays.

(eg. compress a BluRay/DVD down to a common MP4 rip and you'd still wind up with about a 1.5GB file. You can imagine how quickly space will disappear on smaller capacity drives....)

6) Pricing vs. eBook reader.
If I wanted an eBook reader, the SmartQ V7 would be half the price, more portable, and I'd still be able to read all of the txt, PDF, etc. ebooks I get today. The weight and size of the iPad is huge, can't be pocketed in a jacket pocket, and is just in that awkward size spot where it's too small to be a real comfy video viewer (15-17+" better) for long periods, too big for a truly portable pocket eBook reader.

7) Weight.
Start hefting 1.5lbs around as you read books, and you'll soon know why people also don't go hefting around a Canon Rebel XS + Lens (1lbs for the camera, about 1/2lbs for a zoom lens) as much as they do P&S cameras.
Again, at that spot where it's just it's a bit too pudgy for an eBook reader.

8) HTC HD2 Touch.

If you haven't seen what T-Mobile has unleased this month, you haven't seen the latest in powerful cell phones with big displays.

High-resolution movies on a nice screen? Yep.
Web? Yep.
Basic Office apps? Yep.
Cellular+Wifi? Yep.
eBooks? Yep.
Music? Yep.

And add Camera/Camcorder, microsd slot, radio, teathering, and a

paxiam

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
As PC people, we are very unbiased in our comments are we not! (I am a PC person by the way) I would be prepared to pay $300 US, since it is a nice web browser (apart from the lack of Flash support).

flowmastah

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
I'd pay $500 for a maxed-out version: 64GB and 3G support. $10-$15/mo. for unlimited data is acceptable.

$500 for 16GB WiFi only? No way.

flowmastah

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
I'd pay $500 for a maxed-out version: 64GB and 3G support. $10-$15/mo. for unlimited data is acceptable.

$500 for 16GB WiFi only? No way.

bluemax2006

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
The $100-$200 range would be about as much as I would pay for it. Having to pay for a subscription like 3G would be a deal breaker for me though.

I would pay maybe $189.99 it does look cool but I dont see it being real practical to carry around with you. I had an I phone for a little which was cool I decided to sell it and got me a droid :D

rooseveltdon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
I said this before and i will say it again... i see no use for this device as it is right now, honestly this is nothing more than a glorified nook or kindle with ipod touch capabilities, yeah you may be able to play some games,and read books and watch movies in NON hd quality but compared to what you could get for the same price and many upcoming tablets it just lacks a lot, no camera, tiny storage and lack of multi tasking capabilties how this device could replace a laptop or netbook is truly beyond me at least a camera and multi tasking should have been included and a little bit of more storage (128 gb is possible on that size) and also the 3G service should be subsidized however i have a feeling that eventually that will happen....the hype surrounding this product was very high but to be honest it seems lackluster to me, i would not want to own one simply because i would have no use for it,if i found one on the street i would take it, sell it and put money aside for something else that would be of actual use to me...at least the iphone is a smartphone with apps, the ipod touch is an mp3 player with similar capabilties but the ipad?? what does the ipad do that warrants its existence?

sdedalus83

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
Please stop saying this is a substitute for an eInk device. 6 hours of battery life and a display that's useless outside do not make for a usable ebook reader.
If this had all of the features of the Notion Ink(including the screen), ran a full version of OSX, and lasted 12 hours on a charge, I'd spend $500 for the 64GB 3G version. Since it doesn't, and the OS is locked down tighter than a nuclear reactor to people planning on using it legitimately, I wouldn't pay a dime for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.