QOTD: What Do You Think of Our Weekend Comedy?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Exon

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
My problem with this system is that bullets would usually be used to mark important points, not be used in the opposite context.

Every time I see an article with bullets, it immediately appears that the article is important.

Hamburger

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Life's too short to take everything so darn seriously all the time. If this doesn't take time away from working on good stories and is done as "Extra curricular activity" then I don't see a problem with it and would actually enjoy it.

reapper

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I think the comedy section sucks. It's a load of BS, not funny and rarely interesting to read. You should at least hide it in a "funny" section or quit. I thought this site was serious but since the "redesigning" game it went all down hill. The tone of the articles changed from mostly informative to a more "entertainment" style and the constant begging for comments sounds really pathetic. People used to leave comments before that. Now it's like a crybaby sentence to set the pus*y tone.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
BTW, why are you working on Saturday? I am paid OT and Wall streeter are paid bonus to work on Saturday so are you being paid extra for writing these articles.

I think a weekend opinion piece by you akin to Chris’ may be a better idea. Girl’s take on this week’s news might draw some people.

Tattysnuc

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
What's next? Girls in compromising positions with items of technology?

Everyone knows if you want poeple to come to your site you put some naked flesh on show.

However, I joined the forums and read Tom's because they used to do some cutting edge reports and videos. What does Tom's give us now? The last site on the web that has any technology reviews because they sign all the NDA's and a set of very childish "joke" articles.

At least the forums are still top notch.....

psychopathy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
I definitely don't come here for funny tech articles and I rarely read them. If new tech articles will not be published on the weekends, I would appreciate something like an opinion piece on the weekends. If it's going to be lighter maybe a reaction/opinion piece. If you do keep them, it may be better to file them under a humor section so the people who like them can find them. I don't care for them being the first thing at the top of the page. Thanks!

G

i don't think they are funny at all

they just take up room on the board.

plz just use your time to write factual information

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
I've done journalism for 2 years in school and I can easily say the joke articles have more benefits than one would think. For one they help crush that writers block when your looking for a way to present factual information for a 'non-joke' article. Second they keep your sense of humor alive, without a sense of humor things get far to bland and hard to read.

omygod711

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
If you don't like it don't read it. The jokes are just "extras freebies" that the site is giving its reader. It's free stop complaining. A separate section for these jokes is definitely a good compromise for the up tight ones that can't take a joke in the news section. It's the weekend, there won't be any "news", people aren't working to bring "breaking" tech news, cheer up.

chuck_smith

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
I honestly love the weekend content, it always makes my day to see what joke you guys are gonna come up with next! Keep it up guys :D

G

You guy are good at one thing already and that is not comedy!

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
Maybe create an on/off switch for those who have signed up for the forums. That way those who find no humor in it won't be bothered with it; and those who like it (or couldn't care either way) will still have it.

G

Leave the comedy to the experts and stick to what Tom's used to do best: techie articles about hardware, BYOPC, benchmarking. Have to say that I check Anandtech more often in the last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.