QOTD: Which is Your Next PMP: iPod, Zune, Other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
If I didn't have an iPhone then it'd be an iPod Touch. Nothing else comes close. As it is, my next PMP purchase will be the new iPhone whenever it comes out.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
I've got a Cowon D2 that I love. The sound quality is great and it takes my mp3s AND oggs AND whatever .avis I care to put on it, and with an SDHC expansion slot, that can be a LOT of videos. Great looking screen. Shame about the touch interface, but it does allow for doodling.

I'm thinking my next PMP will be a Pandora, though. Hopefully it'll be ready before Duke Nukem Forever.

rdawise

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Currently Own:
Sansa e260 (Good for what it does)
PSP-2000 (Probably the most underrated PMP out)

Next to Own:
Zune HD (looks interesting, plus girlfriend already owns the Ipod Touch. Not missing out on much).

Square_Head

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
For all the Zune supporters, it just shows your hatred for anything superior. Now the new Zune does have some awesome functions (the HD radio tuner is a major benefit), but come on really? Itunes is such an amazing program. I don't buy my music with iTunes, but I DO organize and edit the mp3 tags. It is very simple and intuitive, half the reason to own an ipod. The Zune is another half arsed, half functional, half ipod. There is a reason more people buy ipods than any other mp3 player. Fan boys are what they are, practical people buy what is best and performs the best. In the PMP market, Apple has the crown (and has for the past 5+ years)

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
The ZuneHD would have been it, if they had gone with an actual HD resolution. Quarter HD would have been great (960x540), but that broke any hope of me buying one.

I currently have a Sansa Clip (4GB) that fits my needs, and it only cost me $60, so I don't see the point in any iCrap since they don't do much more than play music, or have a high-def screen.

Robert17

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
Sansa will probably be my first music storage/player. I travel in my car a lot (1800 miles last week) and have too much music I'm converting from LPs to burn and shuffle as CDs, yes, old school. I'm frequently out of range of any good rock stations so I must carry my own. Don't need any video, HD or otherwise, just an FM transmitter to the nice system in my car.

SciFiMan

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
In our family it's a generational thing. The kids like iPod's, which I find to be a poor value, but I understand that youth follow the herd and they certainly have plenty of leisure time. Us adults have Sansa models. My own choice is the simple Sansa Clip for my daily runs. I don't have the free time or the inclination to mess with a 25-in-1 do it all gadget after working 10 hours a day as a system engineer.

leafblower29

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
I'll just stick with my iPod nano all I do is listen to music and nothing else so I'm good. Although I wish apple would eventually fix the random restart, freezing, and won't shut down problems.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
my next PMP is my mobile phone that can handle many video codecs, audio codecs, with A/V out. Also has enough memory to be useful.
Currently I use a IRiver PMP-100. Bought it 4 years ago and still useful with its 40 gb drive and Divx compatibility.

yoda8232

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I got a Creative Zen 8GB and wow is it amazing.
Best bang for buck, $109 CDN but has SD slot supporting up to 32GB, FM tuner, voice recorder, 320x240 screen, video player wow it's amazing.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Well Archos isn't great, atleast the IMT devices and I may be upgrading my Archos 5 60GB to a Cowon P5W if it ever comes out in the U.S., or a 3G Viliv S5. That said I love my Archos, but the build quality is crap and I don't suspect that I will get more than a year or two out of it, hope I'm wrong.

Oh and iTunes is not nearly as great as iSheep believe it is, there are plenty of more versatile and better made media organizer programs.

G

My Sansa Fuze is fantastic for my needs. For one it plays loss-less *.FLAC files; which is awesome. Second, I can use Windows Media Player or Windows Explorer to dump music/video/photos on it or from it.

The 'iPod Touch' is great, BUT 'iTunes' is the worst software I have ever experienced and will never allow it to touch another computer I own.

gr8scott88

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
I own and iphone and like its versatility and the app store is a huge plus, but the Zune HD has a chance if it isnt terribly botched at launch like so many other of M$ products.

As far as itunes is concerned its one of the most poorly conceived pieces of software to every grace my machine. Google's Picasa can find a new photo within 5 seconds of it showing up, why cant itunes tell that two songs that are in the EXACT SAME LOCATION are duplicates without my telling it?

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
my zune worked just fine with itunes.

I replaced my 80 gig zune with an Archos 5 120 gig. The archos has hd but you really don't need since the screen is 5 inches... I had a hard time seeing the difference.

It also has wifi and a browser. Even in SD the screen looks great.

itunes is nothing special in my opinion. I use my player mostly for movies and TV shows. The thought of paying for these shows or movies twice makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

I subscribe to all of the movie channels and really don't wish to buy them again on itunes or iTV.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Probably a ZuneHD, but it depends on HDD space, price, and if there are any issues with it. Otherwise I'll stick to my iPod Classic for now as it has tons of space and works ok for me (even with the freezes, needs for restarts, other random errors, and zero updates for months)

Status
Not open for further replies.