Qualcomm Unveils Quad-core 2.5GHz Snapdragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

banhuk

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
beauty :). So obviously our 2012 smartphones will be both a phone and pc. Ie, hooking up to a bluetooth mouse and keyboard and into a tv or monitor via hdmi. i know this technology has been around for a while (i use to hook up my N95 to my bluetooth keyboard and connect it to my plasma via component leads). So I guess we just need someone to develop an android operating system capable of using the mouse pointer?? Does such software/tweak/hack exist??

pythy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
[citation][nom]kschen[/nom]I am still using a dual core laptop[/citation]
I am still using my Pentium M laptop.....

THEfog101

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
[citation][nom]banhuk[/nom]beauty :). So obviously our 2012 smartphones will be both a phone and pc. Ie, hooking up to a bluetooth mouse and keyboard and into a tv or monitor via hdmi. i know this technology has been around for a while (i use to hook up my N95 to my bluetooth keyboard and connect it to my plasma via component leads). So I guess we just need someone to develop an android operating system capable of using the mouse pointer?? Does such software/tweak/hack exist??[/citation]

My G1 has a mouse pointer inside the browser which is controlled by a trackball (upside down ball mouse lol) so the support is probably there, just needs to be utilized

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
By then Octa Core CPU's will be in the highend to upper mainstream markets. Hexa Core CPU's will be more common in the mainstream to lower mainstream markets. Quad Core CPU's will be more common in the budget to ultra budget markets. While, Dual Cores CPU's will start to get phased out completely much like Single Core CPU's did a couple years ago.

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]2.5 GHZ i wonder what the battery life is.probably less than 20 minutes.[/citation]

can you read?

"Krait will offer speeds of up to 2.5GHz per core and deliver 150 percent higher overall performance, as well as 65 percent lower power consumption than currently available ARM-based CPU cores."

Misconception about battery life on mobile phones / applications is that the CPU is draining the most. In actuality its the screen that has the highest drain on the battery, upping the CPU to a higher performance model won't kill the battery near as much as increasing the brightness or getting a bigger screen.

melvis72

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
That's nice and all but how about somebody work on making the batteries last long on the phones. I like power just as much as everyone else but what good is it if the battery last next to nothing. I don't need a phone that as powerful as a desktop with no battery life, its a phone. Remember the good old day when a phone lasted days without a charge.

G

few years back, game was a part of mobile, now a small device contained so many things popped in a option for phone.

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]palladin9479[/nom]Misconception about battery life on mobile phones / applications is that the CPU is draining the most. In actuality its the screen that has the highest drain on the battery, upping the CPU to a higher performance model won't kill the battery near as much as increasing the brightness or getting a bigger screen.[/citation]

Unless you start cramming an x86 processor like a Atom (Godforbid) into the phone. Then the APU will be the most power consuming part.

But essentially you are correct. If the 65% lower power holds water then these quad core APUs will have under 500mW power consumption which is a fraction of what the display consumes.

killbits

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
yeah umm, it's not Krait, it's Krayt. You effing spelled it wrong, Qualcomm. Trying to be all fancy with the Star Wars reference? Krayt Dragon? Snapdragon?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Krayt_dragon

Ok, so, more likely they were naming their processor after a type of venemous snake:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bungarus

I'm not an ophiologist!

Krayt would have been a cooler name though, seeing as it's actually a dragon. Sort of a pseudo-insidery geek call-out to make them appeal more to nerds or something? I mean that thing effing eats banthas for breakfast!

I just realized how very little I care about the actual processor, compared to their dumb name for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.