[SOLVED] Question about Performance in General!

PaPies

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2014
Hello, I have a few questions about bottlenecking and just performance in general.
I plan to upgrade my computer within the next 3 or so months, but I got the rtx 3080 as it's REALLY hard to get it.

But I don't really see any performance gains, especially in Dota 2 1440p.

I got the card to play newer games but also have higher performance in general, I know dota can be CPU intensive game and such but idk..
-------------------------------------------------
My Issue is... my Computer isn't really predictable when it comes to FPS, sometimes my FPS would spike up to 150-160FPS and then go down to 70, on an RTX 3080!
My cpu is i7-6700K 4.4ghx, I know it's somewhat of a bottleneck but can't be that bad can it?

Even with my previous GPU (GTX 1080, I've felt that I could get more performance out of my setup... IDK

I need help figuring it out on why I don't get the performance I expect to do so from my rig in general, I've compared videos on YOUTUBE and they have more performance than me, always

Solution
I already have in mind what I want., 550 motherboard, 5800X Ryzen, 3600mhz ram, the rest stay the same, gpu, powersupply, and drives.

Not sure if my performance has to do with drivers like from the motherboard or intel and to be honest I have no idea which one to even update, there are 10 intel drivers and a few for motherboard.

Well, I guess I'll skip hardware recommendations seeing as how all the stuff you listed is quite exceptional and I can't find fault with it. I assume you're using a high quality 750 watt PSU?

As far as CPU bottlenecking goes, the rendering pipeline works something like this: When you play a game, your CPU requests data from your hard drive/RAM and renders certain parts of a frame. It then sends the...
My cpu is i7-6700K 4.4ghx, I know it's somewhat of a bottleneck but can't be that bad can it?

I've compared videos on YOUTUBE and they have more performance than me, always

It can be that bad, trust me.

I guarantee you that the PCs in those YouTube videos you are watching are not using a 6700k.

Before I explain the ins and outs of CPU bottlenecking to you, please list your full system specs for me and how much your budget would be if you are willing to do a CPU upgrade.

PaPies

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2014
It can be that bad, trust me.

I guarantee you that the PCs in those YouTube videos you are watching are not using a 6700k.

Before I explain the ins and outs of CPU bottlenecking to you, please list your full system specs for me and how much your budget would be if you are willing to do a CPU upgrade.

I already have in mind what I want., 550 motherboard, 5800X Ryzen, 3600mhz ram, the rest stay the same, gpu, powersupply, and drives.

Not sure if my performance has to do with drivers like from the motherboard or intel and to be honest I have no idea which one to even update, there are 10 intel drivers and a few for motherboard.

Well, I guess I'll skip hardware recommendations seeing as how all the stuff you listed is quite exceptional and I can't find fault with it. I assume you're using a high quality 750 watt PSU?

As far as CPU bottlenecking goes, the rendering pipeline works something like this: When you play a game, your CPU requests data from your hard drive/RAM and renders certain parts of a frame. It then sends the pre-rendered frame to the GPU so that the GPU can do the portion of the frame rendering that it is responsible for which is then displayed on your screen. Thus, if your CPU isn't fast enough, certain types of games will overwhelm your CPU, causing your GPU to be underutilized because it can't begin rendering a frame until it receives it from the CPU. In your case, your processor is a 5 year old 4 core/8 thread CPU. In most modern games, 4 cores/8 threads isn't enough and the clock speeds and IPC are too low as well.

To clarify further about bottlenecking, lets talk about resolution for a moment. There is a common misconception that CPU bottlenecking only happens at 1080p. This idea has been widely propagated because this is where it is most likely to happen, but that is only because 1080p has higher frame rates than resolutions like 1440p and 4k do; running at 1440p/60 fps is just as hard on your CPU as 1080p/60 fps is. Your CPU doesn't care about resolution (that's your GPU's job) it cares about frame rates. The higher your frame rates, the harder your CPU has to work, increasing your chance of a CPU bottleneck.

Bottom line, to squeeze all the available performance out of your RTX 3080 at 1440p, you need a motherboard, CPU and RAM similar to what you want to upgrade to. With that upgrade, your GPU utilization should go up significantly and you should have much more stable frame rates overall.

Reactions: PaPies
Solution

PaPies

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2014

As far as CPU bottlenecking goes, the rendering pipeline works something like this: When you play a game, your CPU requests data from your hard drive/RAM and renders certain parts of a frame. It then sends the pre-rendered frame to the GPU so that the GPU can do the portion of the frame rendering that it is responsible for which is then displayed on your screen. Thus, if your CPU isn't fast enough, certain types of games will overwhelm your CPU, causing your GPU to be underutilized because it can't begin rendering a frame until it receives it from the CPU. In your case, your processor is a 5 year old 4 core/8 thread CPU. In most modern games, 4 cores/8 threads isn't enough and the clock speeds and IPC are too low as well.

To clarify further about bottlenecking, lets talk about resolution for a moment. There is a common misconception that CPU bottlenecking only happens at 1080p. This idea has been widely propagated because this is where it is most likely to happen, but that is only because 1080p has higher frame rates than resolutions like 1440p and 4k do; running at 1440p/60 fps is just as hard on your CPU as 1080p/60 fps is. Your CPU doesn't care about resolution (that's your GPU's job) it cares about frame rates. The higher your frame rates, the harder your CPU has to work, increasing your chance of a CPU bottleneck.

Bottom line, to squeeze all the available performance out of your RTX 3080 at 1440p, you need a motherboard, CPU and RAM similar to what you want to upgrade to. With that upgrade, your GPU utilization should go up significantly and you should have much more stable frame rates overall.
Yeah I do have V750 Gold from coolermaster.

It's just videos on youtube show 200fps avg, and me just jumping from 4/8 to 8/16, that would be 2.3x performance for me, but I don't know if I will get 2.3x performance.

Yeah I do have V750 Gold from coolermaster.

It's just videos on youtube show 200fps avg, and me just jumping from 4/8 to 8/16, that would be 2.3x performance for me, but I don't know if I will get 2.3x performance.

It's not just the doubling of cores and threads that's significant (and that's a big deal by the way); also as significant are the higher clock speeds and the higher instructions per clock (IPC) boost that you get by being on a modern processor architecture/node. Combine that with the high speed RAM you'll be running in there, you should be significantly closer to matching those benchmarks on similar settings.

TRENDING THREADS