jason1297

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015
I am selling some of my components to upgrade my PC. How would I ship, for example, the motherboard? I no longer have the box for it, so am selling the board itself, I/O cover, manual and driver disc. If I intend to ship in a cardboard box, what do I wrap the board in to protect it as much as possible without creating static?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

kanewolf

Titan
The original packaging would be best. But, since you don't have that, you DO need an anti-static bag. Maybe from your current motherboard, or you may have to buy some. Then you could wrap in bubble wrap. They make pink anti-static bubble wrap, but with an intact anti-static bag around the motherboard you should be able to use regular.

Crumpled up newspaper works fine. Just don't wrap it in regular plastic or bubble wrap. Plastics have a moderate ability to store a static charge.

Paper has a very low ability to build up a static charge. I've never had a problem shipping using newspaper. Don't wad it up too tight. That just requires more paper, adding weight. I crumple it enough to provide support all around and overfill slightly. Then when you close the box. It compresses the paper some more and the boards stay in place.

If you are really obsessive. Cotton is neutral. It would cost a bit more to pack it in cotton balls though.

USAFRet

Titan
I am selling some of my components to upgrade my PC. How would I ship, for example, the motherboard? I no longer have the box for it, so am selling the board itself, I/O cover, manual and driver disc. If I intend to ship in a cardboard box, what do I wrap the board in to protect it as much as possible without creating static?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
If you're in the US, the UPS store has all the stuff you need.
Anti static bags, bubble wrap padding, boxes.

Reactions: coastie65