Question regarding ASUS P5Q PRO

Coilz

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
I'm new in the OC'ing buisness, but I just got a brand new motherboard P5Q ASUS PRO together with a E6600 2.4 GHz. I'm figuring I might overclock the 2.4 GHz to 2.8 or 3.0 GHz at least.

For the moment I'm using stock cooling until my HDT cooler arrives (damn delays), but I'd figured I would mess around the BIOS anyway to get a hang of it. To my surprise I found that I could change very few of the settings, that was actually doable on the old motherboard.

CPU Ratio Setting was stuck on auto.
FSB Frequency was also stuck on auto.

I have a theory that it might be me using a new BIOS version (2010 in contrast to other people using a 1010, I think it was) that perhaps wasn't ideal for overclocking.

Any ideas, I have search through the overclocking beginning thread for solutions to this "auto" problem, but neither this forum nor google has given me any answers.

Cheers and hope you don't mind this probably mundane/easy question.

MaDMagik

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Heheh, In the A.I tab in BIOS you have to change AI Overclock Tuner(i think thats what its called) from auto to manual, that will allow you to change every setting you see there.

Good luck and have fun!

Coilz

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
I've set that manual and that still didn't allow me to change the CPU ratio or any of other options that I was having problems with. If only it was that simply :D

It's like a lot of the normal settings like FSB/CPU Ratio are not changeable. I must be missing a function somewhere.

It isn't possibly that I somehow bought a locked motherboard?

mamw93

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Download Riva Tuner and manually do it inside Windows. OR you can get the AI suite that came with the board and have a blast.

vinibobarino

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
I dont want to come accross as insulting but are you entering the numbers that you want or are you trying to use page up/page down keys, up arrow/down arrow? I have P5Q Deluxe and you have to manually enter your multiplier number...it took me a bit to figure that out

Riksu

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009

Im doing it right and it have been working before, can't stand why its stucked now

vinibobarino

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
whats your ram multiplier set at? do you have your ram working on auto?
maybe your ram is not allowing you to move further...what kind of ram do you have?