Questions on processors

Upendra09

Distinguished
Hello all,

i wanted to post a few questions on here about CPUs.

1. what is processor stepping?

2. what is the big difference between core 2 duo/quad and the new i7 line?

3. are there better technologies in i7?

4. what about 45nm and 65 nm and 22nm? what so great about getting a smaller .... is it die or chip? but what so great about making whatever it is smaller?

5.what is the anatomy of a chip? what makes the thing better or faster? what are dies chips and cores?

I know the basic answers to all these questions but I don't understand the benefits of them and I am very confused right now so please help?!

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
1) its a version - like an edition - upgrades and changes
2) ingrated memory controler = triple the memory bandwidht <rearch mem bandwidth

3)no
4)same thing no matter to you (smaller = cheaper to make and it can be better or woarse in performance - shrink may be hotter or faster or neither or both)
5) chip can have more then one core core in one piece of silicon or what ever GaAs

q6600 = 2 cores in each chip, and 2 chips in package = 4 cores
iy7 = 4 cores one chip one package

package = heat spreader = steel box also bottom

your confusing yourself with dumb questions, they do not help what you seek - use wiki and 10 mins you understand it!

4745454b

Titan
What makes you ask the question? If your looking for complete answers, start doing a lot of reading. I/we can write volumes about IMCs, cache, electron migration, process nodes, etc, but its already all out there. Or we can just tell you to check benchmark reviews to see which CPU is faster. In this case forums should be used to either provide you with links so you can read, or to answer something you didn't understand when you read it. I have little desire to type something out if its already on wiki, toms, anand, etc.

Upendra09

Distinguished
Thanks to everybody and I usually read forums and post questions just so I can get quick answers because whenever I read articles about these things, they always lead me to read more about how their made since i don't know the whole terminology of computers, I am just a novice in this field.

Well I have one more question and I hope this isn't a stupid question because I didn't find anything that answers it.

I have a Celeron Tualatin right now that runs at 1.2 ghz. It's on my ancient computer that I am using right now. I am sort of into computer gaming but I can't get a new computer yet.

So I was thinking of upgrading my processor since it is slow and ancient, and this is what I was going to go for:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tualatin-Celeron-1400-256-100-1-5v-CPU-370-SL64V-1-4ghz_W0QQitemZ230332289028QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item230332289028&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

Could u guys please look at this and tell me if it is compatible with my mother board and if it is safe to use on my computer.

these are the specs on my computer:

512 mb of RAM pc 133 and pc 100 bus speeds (there are two chips)

30Gb. Maxtor Hard drive

celeron tualatin processor @ 1.2 ghz/around 100mhz fsb/16kb L1 cache/socket 370

815 chipset (discontinued)

Is it and upgrade to go from a slow celeron to a P3 that is faster or is it a downgrade? Keep in mind that the FSB, cache,and core clock is faster than the celeron I have right now.

And they are both code-named tualatin, why is one called celeron and the other P3?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Upendra09

Distinguished
I know that I should get a new computer but I can't really do that right now so I felt that I should upgrade my computer right now since my whole family uses it and it often takes a long time to somplie tasks (running scans, starting up, web surfing even when my internet is pretty fast and empty) I know there are software proiducts out there to control these things but it hasn't worked a lot.

I would also like to add that my celeron right now runs at 1.2 volts and the 1.4 runs at 1.5 V so is there any way I can up that figure in my BIOS or is that fixed?

Thanks for any suggestions

SuperNova19

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Upgrade Celeron you get NOTHING , just get more risk about overheating freez,and for upgrade(overclock) you must have motherboard that have overclock option.

The monies you spend now wont equal the perf gained if you just save your money and buy a newer rig. Even an older rig, but newer than yours would give you much greater results, and sometimes old rigs are thrown out, or are dirt cheap, maybe cheaper than your upgrade even. I say wait, keep your money, and get something new

4745454b

Titan
The fastest tuti celery was the 1.4GHz(?). Thats not a big jump from 1.2GHz. You might even be able to hit 1.4GHz with overclocking. The point I'm trying to make is that 200MHz isn't going to make anything playable. If you get 10FPS on game X right now, at 1.4GHz you might get 11. Its simply not enough of a performance boost. Upgrading your video card might help, a lot if your current card is DX7 or DX8 only. (or if its onboard)

The Third Level

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
Not just a new processor, save up for a new computer.
1.4ghz at such an old architecture is plain obsolete. Even if you don't use high end parts, i've seen barebone kits with Athlon X2, 4gb RAM and integrated gfx mobos for under 200.

Danklin

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
You're not going to see an improvement at all between 1.2 and 1.4 GHz. You might as well buy or build a new one. No offense but i think someone like you would be better off just buying one. Updating that processor wont do you much good.

Danklin

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009

You need a whole new motherboard and everything, not just a processor as you cant just slap any old processor in there. I think 1.2 is as high as you can go with the tuti. I would save up for a cheap dual core rig. You can still use your hard drive unless you need something bigger but 30GB is pretty small these days. Ebay and newegg are great places to find pretty reasonable parts.

Upendra09

Distinguished
Thanks guys, for the help. I know the processor won't help games but my computer is darn slow i am desperate for a little speed.

And 474545b aren't celerons multiplier locked? how would i be able to overclock it? It doesn't even show up in my bios.

The Third Level

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
I'm not even kidding when I say that 200mhz on such old processors will move you from the equivalent of 5 kmph to 6kmph. It's just not worth it. It won't get you much speed at all.

4745454b

Titan
Depending on your motherboard, you might be able to bump the FSB up. If your 1.2GHz Celery is 100MHz FSB x 12 CPU multiplier, and you change that to 117MHz, you'll have that 1.4GHz CPU. Not all motherboards allow you to change the FSB, most oems won't. (Dell, HP, Gateway, etc.) As already mentioned, moving from 1.2GHz to 1.4GHz isn't really going to do anything. Its such a small change in speed with such a slow chip that you probably won't be able to feel it. If you are using onboard video or a DX7/8 video card, buying a DX9 card might keep you in the game for a bit longer. Hopefully long enough to save up the $$$ and buy something worthwhile.

Upendra09

Distinguished
Thanks, 474545b

I have checked for a different graphics card but the mobo is so old it doesn't even have a good pci slot.Other than that it has AGP which I don't think is even used anymore.

And what are OEMs? I have a Compaq mobo,I think, I don't understand the difference between chipset and mobo. Anyway the mobo is from when compaq used to be its own company instead of a streamlined hp.

thanks anyway

The Third Level

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer.
OEM hardware is hardware packaged for computer administrator and builder use. These products are normally plain boxed and often don't come with any instructions or references provided in retail packages.

The chipset is build into the mobo and controls its various aspects.

4745454b

Titan
If it has AGP, you can check to see if it supports 4x. If it does, you can buy a modern GPU that supports 8x/4x. I wouldn't get the best one out there, but a nice 7600GS/x1650xx might be nice.

The problem with OEM is that they tend to lock the bios. This means you can't overclock the CPU at all. Not a big thing, as 1.2~1.4.

Upendra09

Distinguished
Thanks guys.

About the OEMs, does that mean that, if I were to buy a mobo from compusa.com, that I wouldn't be able overclock it? I am asking this cuz I am building a computer w/ a friend and I told him to get a cheap processor and I could oc it but if it is oem, then what else could we do?

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
When we refer to OEM, generally we mean a pre-built PC from one of the big names (HP, Dell, Acer/Gateway, etc.) OEM motherboards (and therefore PCs) as a rule do not support overclocking.

I agree with the other posters here, do not waste any money trying to upgrade your current PC, its simply not going to give you any improvement. I have a couple of old Pentium 4 3.0Ghz systems that I would be willing to part with for a minimum of $$. PM me if your interested and we can try and work something out.

EDIT: Also, I would avoid buying a new AGP card. While they are available, when/if you upgrade, the odds of being able to carry the card over are slim to none.