[SOLVED] R3 3300X on A320 OR B450?

Which Mobo should I get for it? Provided that I can update the bios before putting it in. I dont really care for faster USB ports. I also have no interest in OC since 3300X doesn't OC well and even with OC the performance difference is not big enough to make buying a Seperate CPU cooler worth it.

Solution
If those are the only mobos in the decision process, I'd go with the 450. I've got a 3300x running on a B350 and it's been fine but I'm pretty sure due to the nature of the beta bios, lack of headroom in the cpu and cheap heatsink it comes with, it's not a good idea to OC it anyway... If you simply can't wait I guess go with the 450. If you can wait go for the B550.

It does run hot compared to last gen so if there's room in the budget either get a better heatsink or get a few fans going in the case if you plan on doing a little bit of OCing. I did a few AE renders and gamed for a few hours and the highest I hit was 78c... not bad for default settings (idles at 38c-41c) but I'm sure there's room to undervolt it to get it cooler. I'm...
Which Mobo should I get for it? Provided that I can update the bios before putting it in. I dont really care for faster USB ports. I also have no interest in OC since 3300X doesn't OC well and even with OC the performance difference is not big enough to make buying a Seperate CPU cooler worth it.
Wait for reviews and get a B550 motherboard if you don't need it right away. B550 releases June 16th. Also, B450 motherboards are stupid expensive right now, likely because stock is being pulled or drying up.

Last edited:
All the more reason to just wait and see. A lot of the cheaper boards that were around $70-80 are now $90-110. B550 motherboards are likely going to be in the same price range, so it just makes more sense to buy that instead.
My current thinking is that if b450 is not going to be compatible later on and b550 is expected to be more expensive then might as well go cheap A320 for now and then move onto b550 later when there are options in Zen 3

My current thinking is that if b450 is not going to be compatible later on and b550 is expected to be more expensive then might as well go cheap A320 for now and then move onto b550 later when there are options in Zen 3
That makes no sense, because you are going to spend more money in the long run buying two different motherboards when you could just save for a bit longer and get a B550 instead. AMD is also suppose to be bringing support for Ryzen 4000 to B450.

Yeah, I would agree that unless you need the system within the next couple weeks or so, it's probably worth waiting a bit to see what the B550 boards have to offer. It's possible that B450 pricing might potentially come back down a bit as well once there is less demand for them after B550's launch. Right now, I suspect motherboard manufacturers have greatly reduced or eliminated B450 production as they prepare for B550, though it's hard to say whether supplies will recover after demand goes down.

Of course, a lot of this may depend on your overall budget too, and what other hardware you were planning to put in the system. What are the system's complete specs?

Yeah, I would agree that unless you need the system within the next couple weeks or so, it's probably worth waiting a bit to see what the B550 boards have to offer. It's possible that B450 pricing might potentially come back down a bit as well once there is less demand for them after B550's launch. Right now, I suspect motherboard manufacturers have greatly reduced or eliminated B450 production as they prepare for B550, though it's hard to say whether supplies will recover after demand goes down.

Of course, a lot of this may depend on your overall budget too, and what other hardware you were planning to put in the system. What are the system's complete specs?
R3 3300X
GTX 1660S
? Mobo
CX600 PSU
2x8GB ram

May 30, 2020
If those are the only mobos in the decision process, I'd go with the 450. I've got a 3300x running on a B350 and it's been fine but I'm pretty sure due to the nature of the beta bios, lack of headroom in the cpu and cheap heatsink it comes with, it's not a good idea to OC it anyway... If you simply can't wait I guess go with the 450. If you can wait go for the B550.

It does run hot compared to last gen so if there's room in the budget either get a better heatsink or get a few fans going in the case if you plan on doing a little bit of OCing. I did a few AE renders and gamed for a few hours and the highest I hit was 78c... not bad for default settings (idles at 38c-41c) but I'm sure there's room to undervolt it to get it cooler. I'm sure a new mobo, with stable release bios would probably handle messing around with voltages better.

The reason I'm bringing that up is if you're going with a 450 it's likely going to be a beta bios or afterthought cuz amd rushed out their files and the mobo manufacturer slapped it together to claim it's working. The mobo forums are filled with half a year of people complaining about bugs with the betas that added Ryzen 3000 support. Buyer beware as usual.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tioym
Solution
The reason I'm bringing that up is if you're going with a 450 it's likely going to be a beta bios or afterthought cuz amd rushed out their files and the mobo manufacturer slapped it together to claim it's working.
The 300-series boards only got beta bios support for 3rd-gen Ryzen, but the 400-series boards should have relatively proper support. And some models, like MSI's B450 Max-series, launched after the Ryzen 3000 release and are guaranteed to support those processors out of the box.

Reactions: cokebutter

It does run hot compared to last gen so if there's room in the budget either get a better heatsink or get a few fans going in the case if you plan on doing a little bit of OCing. I did a few AE renders and gamed for a few hours and the highest I hit was 78c... not bad for default settings (idles at 38c-41c) but I'm sure there's room to undervolt it to get it cooler. I'm sure a new mobo, with stable release bios would probably handle messing around with voltages better.

The reason I'm bringing that up is if you're going with a 450 it's likely going to be a beta bios or afterthought cuz amd rushed out their files and the mobo manufacturer slapped it together to claim it's working. The mobo forums are filled with half a year of people complaining about bugs with the betas that added Ryzen 3000 support. Buyer beware as usual.
Yeah the thing about the bios, you're probably right. I'll wait and see how b550 plays out and if it's too expensive then I'll look at b450.

iiSlashr

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
A320 isn't worth it. You'd be saving yourself maybe 10 bucks. B450 or 550 if you can stand the wait is the way to go, even with a cheap board like the Gigabyte DS3H ($73 iirc) or a nicer one like a Tomahawk MAX from MSI with 3rd-gen support out of the box.

Reactions: Tioym