[SOLVED] R5 2600x or R7 2700x

jacob.hultqvist1

Reputable
Oct 16, 2018
I'm planning on upgrading my pc in. I was thinking of combining either a 2600x or a 2700x with a gtx 1080ti. I was wondering if the extra two cores are worth it or should i just get the 2600x and save a bit of money.

My question is if the 2600x will bottleneck the 1080ti or if it will go hand in hand. Do you have any advice?

It will mainly be for 1080p Gaming. No streaming or video editing.

Thanks in advance

Solution
Either 2600x or 2700x will run a 1080Ti quite well. Not as high fps compared to 9600k but you won't have the issue of running the cpu into the wall as the 9600k does running 100% cpu usage from too high fps in demanding games.

Id go 2700x because it has a better stock cooler, couple more cores and higher base clock.

But, there's always a but. Ryzen 3rd gen is almost here. I'd wait, prices won't be all that different and its not entirely 100% sure previous motherboards will take it. Probably will with a bios update like before but can't be sure, not yet.

Ryzen's 3rd gen's IPC work is rumoured to be much better and if that's the case you'll get higher fps from your 1080Ti.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Either 2600x or 2700x will run a 1080Ti quite well. Not as high fps compared to 9600k but you won't have the issue of running the cpu into the wall as the 9600k does running 100% cpu usage from too high fps in demanding games.

Id go 2700x because it has a better stock cooler, couple more cores and higher base clock.

But, there's always a but. Ryzen 3rd gen is almost here. I'd wait, prices won't be all that different and its not entirely 100% sure previous motherboards will take it. Probably will with a bios update like before but can't be sure, not yet.

Ryzen's 3rd gen's IPC work is rumoured to be much better and if that's the case you'll get higher fps from your 1080Ti.

Reactions: jacob.hultqvist1
Solution

jacob.hultqvist1

Reputable
Oct 16, 2018

Thank you for your fast answer!
Im not really interested in waiting for the new gen. Neither getting an intel cpu. But are the extra cores and the cooler worth the extra money? I'm kind of on a budget but if necessary i could get the 2700x instead of the 2600x. Do you know if there is any major difference in FPS?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Both will perform the same performance wise. Two extra cores from 2700x would see it last longer and it's Wraith Prism cooler is better compared to the Wraith Spire.

Intel was used in comparison regarding fps and what to expect, i know you're not interested in Intel.

jacob.hultqvist1

Reputable
Oct 16, 2018
Both will perform the same performance wise. Two extra cores from 2700x would see it last longer and it's Wraith Prism cooler is better compared to the Wraith Spire.

Intel was used in comparison regarding fps and what to expect, i know you're not interested in Intel.
Alrighty! Probably will go for the 2700x. Thank you for the help!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
No problem.

You would want a 4xx series motherboard to run 2nd gen out of the box, 3xx series need a bios update, or atleast old stock, but how would you know whats newest?, it'd be hard. Brand i would go Asus, B450 or x470. I'd also go minimum 3200Mhz ram, atleast 16GB ram (2x 8GB for dual channel bandwidth) of Samsung Bie IC chips found on ram like Corsair or Gskill. Memory speed benefits Ryzen, 3200 is good. Dual channel is even better as it provides double the throughput. Samsung Bdie is best IC chips there is and AMD favors those more than memory using Hynix/Micron chips, those black chips on ram.

Search Samsung bdie.

Reactions: jacob.hultqvist1