Question [R9 270A] one of my 2 video card PCI buses renders the video card inside of it useless

Dec 19, 2020
Computer Type: Desktop

GPU: AMD R9 270A (x2) (CrossFire)

CPU: AMD FX-8320 8 CORE

Motherboard: GIGABYTE 970A-DS3P rev 2.x

RAM: 16GB DDR3

PSU: EVGA 750W SUPERNOVA

Operating System & Version: WINDOWS 10 HOME 1803

Chipset Drivers: 990x AMD

Attempting Installed Drivers: AMD RADEON Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.2.3 Recommended (WHQL)

Description of Original Problem: 1 out of my 2 AMD R9 270A GPUs (not to be confused with R9 270) has an issue utilizing any AMD driver that I install for it. Whenever I install a new driver for my 2 GPU’s, the GPU in PCI bus 6 is intolerant of the driver ONLY once it starts the display driver install (endless backlit-black screen, hard drive stops spinning), and I need to disable the device in PCI bus 6 while in safe mode in order to have a working computer. It’s not an exclusive issue for the GPU in PCI bus 6 because if I swap the spots of GPUs, the issue still prevails in whatever GPU is in PCI bus 6. The bus isn’t broken though, since my display is plugged into whatever GPU is in PCI bus 6, and it works until I install a driver.

Troubleshooting: In order to have the computer working, I need to boot into safemode and disable the graphics card driver for the GPU in serial bus 6 in order to have the computer functional. At that point, everything works and I do have 1 working video card, but I’d much prefer to have both enabled and working so I can use AMD Crossfire.

PCI bus 6 is physically clean, it is enabled in BIOS, and the video card in it is correctly inserted.

My attempted download process for each and every AMD driver is as follows:

0.) Use DDU (if I had any previous drivers)

1.) Immediately turn off driver updates recommended by windows

2.) Disable fast startup and hibernation mode

3.) Download all win10-compatible drivers for my Gigabyte motherboard (https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-970A-DS3P-rev-2x/support#support-dl-driver)

4.) Download 990x chipset driver from AMD site (https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-9-series-chipsets/990x)

5.) Download AMD Radeon Adrenaline 20.9.1 (last recommended driver) from AMD site (https://www.amd.com/en/support/prev...es/amd-radeon-r9-200-series/amd-radeon-r9-270)

6.) Disconnect my internet

7.) Download all win10-compatible drivers that I downloaded

8.) Download 990x chipset driver I downloaded

9.) Download AMD Radeon Adrenaline 20.9.1

For both Adrenaline AND all previous drivers I tried (I went as far back as version 14’s for Win10 64 bit), my PC would ALWAYS either completely freeze, or the screen would go backlit-black at some level of progress for the AMD display driver installation. No other step was an issue.

Any help appreciated. Thanks guys!

Dec 19, 2020
Anytime I do, the screen goes black and I have to restart again so it undoes the changes to my computer. Most unfortunately, I do not remember the last Windows version I had where this wasn't an issue. Nonetheless, I tried on the latest version of Windows last night, no luck.