Radeon HD 6950 Into a 6970 With a BIOS Hack

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmmil978

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]this used to work on nvidia cards too, now they laser cuts the SPs to prevent it[/citation]

It still works on some GTX 465s, that's a pretty new card.

Harby

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]borisof007[/nom]AMD Fail, isn't the first time this happened. Anyone remember the triple core into a quad core a while back?[/citation]

You're clearly not old enough to remember ATIs 9800GTs into XTs BIOS mods.
Plus, what's the fail about it? Did you maybe buy a 6970 and now you feel cheated out of 70 bucks?

zackh411

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Its not a fail, its just chip binning. Unlock at your own risk, there is a reason the chip in your 6950 went into a 6950 and not into a 6970.

tmk221

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
Unlock at your own risk, there is a reason the chip in your 6950 went into a 6950 and not into a 6970

you don't risk much since 69xx series has double bios ;D one that you can change and one pernament.

I wonder why they made it so easy to mode that card...

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
[citation][nom]Harby[/nom]You're clearly not old enough to remember ATIs 9800GTs into XTs BIOS mods.Plus, what's the fail about it? Did you maybe buy a 6970 and now you feel cheated out of 70 bucks?[/citation]

I'm not aware of the 9800 GT XT issue, and my first PC had a TNT2. I just never heard of that. And the fail about it is that AMD is going to lose money, and face, over the fact that 2 products within the last 2 years have had simple BIOS bypasses to make them equal to their superior products that they sell.

Who would buy a regular dodge avenger over a charger if you could simply update the ECM in the car and all of a sudden gain a whole bunch of horespower? Same difference.

Additionally, I'm quite happy with my GTX285. I just think that AMD would have learned its lesson the first time

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
[citation][nom]zackh411[/nom]Its not a fail, its just chip binning. Unlock at your own risk, there is a reason the chip in your 6950 went into a 6950 and not into a 6970.[/citation]

It is a fail when there's no countermeasures put in place by AMD to stop this sort of thing. Regardless of whether the chip itself was binned to be a 6950 over a 6970. This happened before with their CPU's, and it just seems like they don't care enough to do anything about it, or they didn't invest enough time/money to prevent this sort of thing from happening.

[citation][nom]Harby[/nom]You're clearly not old enough to remember ATIs 9800GTs into XTs BIOS mods.Plus, what's the fail about it? Did you maybe buy a 6970 and now you feel cheated out of 70 bucks?[/citation]

9500 (not 9550) softmod to 9700?

randerson

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
Chip Binning is not a fail. The chips on the 6950 might not have passed their quality control for a reason. Although at the end of the original article it seems that most will unlock without any problems

[citation][nom]borisof007[/nom]AMD Fail, isn't the first time this happened. Anyone remember the triple core into a quad core a while back?[/citation]

You need to visit the forums more often my good friend. :p That thing still going on as we speak.

AM3 Smeprons and be unlocked to dual cores

Athlon II x3 can be unlocked to x4's

Phenom II x2/x3 and be unlocked to x4's

Phenom II x4 xxxT can be unlocked to x6's (although these X4 T's are OEM cpu's last i checked.)

It's really not a fail to have hardware unlocked to something better. It in fact has turned into more of a selling point.

Although as we all mentioned on the forums, unlocking a cpu is not going to happen. If you bought something like a tri-core cpu, you should expect it to run as such and think of it as a bonus if it does unlock.

[citation][nom]borisof007[/nom]It is a fail when there's no countermeasures put in place by AMD to stop this sort of thing. Regardless of whether the chip itself was binned to be a 6950 over a 6970. This happened before with their CPU's, and it just seems like they don't care enough to do anything about it, or they didn't invest enough time/money to prevent this sort of thing from happening.[/citation]

Oh amd has tried to prevent but i think they given up on such as everyone (including motherboard makers) have fought back.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/gigabyte-motherboard-amd-phenom-cpu,8015.html

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=AMD+blocks+core+unlocking

Another reason why they probably dont appear to being doing anything about it, Have you though about whats going to be coming Sometime mid next year?

Bulldozer. Maybe there wont be unlockable cores as it is an cpu thats been changed around that cores aren't like what we know of them now.

But anyways, why keep on getting on AMD back about this stuff. Intel and Nvidia does this as well.

GTX 465 into GTX 470

Pentium Gxxx into a core i3 via buying some card for a paticular brand (like gateway) at best buy or something the nature of.

Those 2 are the most recent "Unlocking in someway to get better performance" from them. Everyone does this.

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
[citation][nom]tmk221[/nom]you don't risk much since 69xx series has double bios ;D one that you can change and one pernament. I wonder why they made it so easy to mode that card...[/citation]
Good for customers, good for sales, at your own risk, not even risky, but might not work. The reverse strategy of Nvidia annoying people to promote sales... ;-)

mariushm

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
boris: It's not a fail if they did it on purpose and someone maybe "leaked" the rumor to techpowerup

It was already announced and rumored before the cards were even launched that 6950 will be in limited number, because the chips turned out much better than they expected so they could make lots of 6970 from them.

AMD makes a good profit from both so rather than have people buy nVidia (close to the price of the 6970) why not sell them 6950 and gain market share/money?

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
The 6970 has a 6 and an 8 pin connector and the other one has just two 6 pins. The 6970 has faster memory I believe. I really hope people dont think that theyre getting something for nothing.

I wouldnt be suprised that in 2 weeks after this wave of getting something for free there might be alot of dead cards.

Not hating at all but theres a reason that chips are binned because they couldnt make it. Im sure that AMD is re-advising thier rma guidelines as we speak.

edilee

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
The 4th core on those were disabled because they were faulty...it wasn't a trick it allowed them to sell the product. Enabling that disabled core could be done easily but results varied I am sure. Selling one product under several different models is practiced in more hardware areas than most are aware of...CPU's is another area it is done. They stamp them out and the ones able to handle higher clock speeds and be stable are sold as the higher end product. Come on folks this has been done for years.

Flashing the BIOS on video cards voids the warranty but it is a good option if you gain a little performance.

cronik93

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010

This is such a stupid comment^ If you weren't so damn ignorant you would know that the CPU's were designed like that for a purpose and reason. I mean come on...AMD was advertising the core-unlocking features like a rabid dog for crying out loud...

Yeah but that didn't always work. The question will be whether the 6950 ALWAYS converts to a 6970 or not. If they just disabled cores just to sell it as a lesser product, versus because some cores were funky.

Tc17

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
There definitely is no "fail" about this. Only a jealous person, or anti AMD person would say otherwise.

KT_WASP

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
[citation][nom]mariushm[/nom]boris: It's not a fail if they did it on purpose and someone maybe "leaked" the rumor to techpowerup It was already announced and rumored before the cards were even launched that 6950 will be in limited number, because the chips turned out much better than they expected so they could make lots of 6970 from them. AMD makes a good profit from both so rather than have people buy nVidia (close to the price of the 6970) why not sell them 6950 and gain market share/money?[/citation]

I also heard this from several sources as well. AMD was having a hard time filling the 6950 segment due to the high yields of 6970 chips. I also heard, a few months ago, that AMD was implementing new Bios in order to bin enough cards to fill the demand for 6950's. Hence they slight delay in launch. Seams like those rumors (which they were at the time) may have had some truth behind them.

Status
Not open for further replies.