Radeon lock-ups on Aladin 5 chipset.....

MeldarthX

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2001
I have a friend that upgraded his K6-2 550 system with a Radeon 32ddr. Its having random lock-ups. Anyone else having problems with this chipset.......I'm too tire to deal with it....;)

Meldarth

G

Hi Mel.

I had some lockup problems with Asus P5A/K6-2/Riva128 combo with both Windows 95 and 98. Especially with Win 95. I sorted them out by downloading new AGP/chipset drivers from ALi's site and updated always to the latest revision of video drivers.

I also remember reading about general AGP related problems on some older Super 7 m/bs related to high current many cards draw from the AGP slot. The solution to this was to modify the m/b to supply more juice to AGP or use an extra power connector on the video card itself. I don't know if Radeons are very power-hungry though.

Good luck with this machine!

Sami

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Correct! There are not many current video cards that will work on the P5A. I had this board and it was a nightmare. Forget trying to have a nice video card on this board and forget trying to play any games on it.

But if you have this board the video card is the least of your problems.

MeldarthX

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2001
Hmmmmm........I don't think that the Radeon is powerhungry like the Geforce line of cards.......He's thinking about getting a new system anyways......which will be good.....and I may just take the Radeon off his hands.....:) it will be a lot better than my tnt2

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I ran a GF2MX on my P5A with a K6III-400 with no problem. Just use the ALi AGP 1.69 driver as I had severe problems with versions 1.70 and 1.73. That should help