Rage: Performance Analysis On The PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterMace

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
This is an instance of a company making a game for consoles and expecting it to work in PCs. This company will be abandoned by PC gamers, and it will settle in on the consoles. Eventually, they'll die off or change, just like the Red Faction series. This applies for the graphics and the quality of the game.

dbonetrain

Distinguished
May 28, 2011

Carmack said they make for the consoles is for money. You are mistaken if you think piracy is what drives developers away from the PC.

cbeermann

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Any1 know why its running so bad on my PC. I have a Phenom X2 550 3.1 Ghz, and a HD 6950.According to this review, it should be able to run it fine but whenever im playing my CPU is at 100% and it runs choppy as hell. I've installed the new RAGE performance driver, as well as that 11.10 thing, neither helped. I added the cache folder for textures, still choppy. I am curious however, that since I have my Steam on my K drive and not on my C if that could be screwing with the cache, anyone know?

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]MasterMace[/nom]This company will be abandoned by PC gamers[/citation]

You mean Bethesda? I've already broken up with my girlfriend so I don't have to make up illnesses when Skyrim comes out on 11.11.11

Or did you mean id Software? In which case you're right, they can go to hell.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]amirp[/nom]I believe there may be a typo, 6570 should be 6670 in the charts? I'm not sure though.[/citation]

Nope, it's actually a Radeon 6570 GDDR5.

Think 6670 with lower clocks, performs close to the 5670. :)

KelvinTy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
I like most of the mechanics of the game, like the little bit of RPG, driving, mixing into the FPS environment we all love.
----------------Spoiler-----------------
However, gameplay-wise, the ending is really bad, the progression was great before you enter the subway town (3rd / final town). Also, it seems like the headshots aren't very rewarding... You can empty a clip of "steel tip" AR rounds into a thug and he just walk it off like nothing... Invisibility frame maybe?? WingSticks are the way to go in harder difficulty... It is very confusing when you can't kill someone with two shotgun shells to the head... but obviously, a wingstick would just one hit ko him... The ending... really? It's like the author died and someone from another country picked it up and finished it... with two lines...
I played the PC version, and frankly, like a lot of modern games, it's like freaking unplayable... aim assists is always on, next to none (aka console graphics settings) available, and with the original release of the game... just try using the mouse in the menu... you will feel as if you just pirated the developer's pre-release version. It's somewhat like the BF3 beta...
BTW, it isn't that hard to get work arounds, like enabling consoles to fix some of the problems, but then you would lose the achievements...
I can't say all other games are release perfectly... but look at COD6, 7, Crysis, warhead, 2, and dragon age 2... They don't seem to have that much problem... IN COMPARISON WITH SinglePlayer EXPERIENCE...

lokii_0

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011
I loved Fallout 3. This game is nowhere near as good. I've played for a few hours, and frankly it's just boring. I feel no desire to go back to it.
The only good thing about this game is that the engine, with a little tweaking and in the hands of someone competent, could be used to create something awesome.
Essentially, Rage is the same old boring rehash of several other FPS titles but with nothing especially memorable or interesting. At least Borderlands gave you solid multiplayer. And FO3 gave you great immersion, an actually open world, interesting characters, actual plot choices, the list could go on and on. Actually, comparing this to FO3 is like comparing a Snickers bar to a 6 course chef's tasting menu. Just not even in the same ballpark.
This game is utterly disappointing, and I will not be buying anything from ID again.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
How about eyefinity and surround gaming? This game looks ripe for such a setup with the high quality background plus great performance tuning.

one more game that uses multiple cores and plays nice with lower end graphics cards \o/.
i wonder how much load was on the cpus and their cores during gameplay(core i5 vs core i3).
imo not all console ports are bad (gta: sa), but some are painfully bad (gta 3). rage seems to be one of the much better ones.

Th-z

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
Anyone else notices all four cards exhibit similar uneven framerate/stutter in the video on page 3. Is this happening when you actually play the game or it only occurs after outputting to video?

Don, do yo have GPU Transcoding On in your CPU benchmarks (page 8)?

Formata

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
I think all these PC games being released half baked is one of the biggest factors with piracy. Why would you pay good money for something that doesn't work as it should? A few bugs here and there is absolutely understandable, but the last few games I have purchased Rage, NBA2K12, Deus Ex HR were not finished titles on release day. I am feeling like I should download, test, then purchase just to ensure I'm not getting ripped off.

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
[citation][nom]Formata[/nom]I think all these PC games being released half baked is one of the biggest factors with piracy. Why would you pay good money for something that doesn't work as it should? A few bugs here and there is absolutely understandable, but the last few games I have purchased Rage, NBA2K12, Deus Ex HR were not finished titles on release day. I am feeling like I should download, test, then purchase just to ensure I'm not getting ripped off.[/citation]

I feel the same way - i don't feel good about downloading a game i respect, but i know it's a port then i'm not going to risk my cash on a half a job game.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]i wonder how much load was on the cpus and their cores during gameplay(core i5 vs core i3).[/citation]

Good question.

Regardless of how underwhelming the game might be for those people with multiple graphics cards and higher end processors, I can't help but smile when I think that my X3 710 and 4830 could handle this game.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Slight mistake on page 6 at the bottom:

All of the more expensive options (starting with the Radeon HD 5770 and GeForce GTX 550 Ti) achieve 60 FPS across the board, with minimum frame rates above 55.

The 5770 gets a minimum frame rate of 49fps, however whichever way you look at that, it's still rather impressive considering the 4xAA and high AF being employed.

The game itself felt boring to me. Im not saying it is boring, but a regular FPS nowdays seems 2 simple for me. I dont need as much of stuff as in fallout 3 to enjoy a game (in fact in fallout 3 many times i got tired of looking for something specific for a long time), but at least something like Stalker should be done here.

Weapons improvements seem to be part of the game main focus, so there is not really any "cool" benefit from changing stuff.

I loved that Weapon mooding in stalker. making choices of more sniper orientated or assault.

In doom3 (if you guys can remmber it) there was even less, but the kinda scary stuff, the fast non stop shooting and trying to conserve ammo for those bigger guys... was diffrent but made sence to me.

Its still a decent game, and graphicly it does give a bit better than a moded fallout 3, but in the end....
I would just say it dosent suck you in with either the story or the gameplay...

cmartin011

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
come on battlefield.... only.. a few... more days... need to know what graphics card... i need to buy for my vacation... review... review...

Status
Not open for further replies.