Rahul sood talks up Intel and AMD

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

clairvoyant129

Distinguished
May 27, 2006
VoodooPC

Mr Sood is back with a new analysis of AMD Intel and how they are doing in his mind.

He made the funniest quote,

From where I am sitting I see Intel making some positive moves. They should thank AMD for poking them in the eye and beating them with a stick – it was a humbling experience.

Priceless!

No doubt about it; without AMD pulling the strings the last 4-5 years... who knows, maybe we'd still be at the GHz race.

Last 4-5 years? Last time I remember, Net Burst based Northwoods kicked the crap out of K7s. That was 3 years ago.

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
Whilst interesting apparently IBM have their own cell like cpu in the works without the many drawbacks of cell. It'll certainly be interesting to see what they come up with.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
VoodooPC

Mr Sood is back with a new analysis of AMD Intel and how they are doing in his mind.

From where I am sitting I see Intel making some positive moves. They should thank AMD for poking them in the eye and beating them with a stick – it was a humbling experience.

Priceless!

No doubt about it; without AMD pulling the strings the last 4-5 years... who knows, maybe we'd still be at the GHz race.

Last 4-5 years? Last time I remember, Net Burst based Northwoods kicked the crap out of K7s. That was 3 years ago.

That was because K7s were kicking the crap out of Willamettes and Tualatins. Susely none of them has dominated but it's been healthy a competition for everyone of us.

clairvoyant129

Distinguished
May 27, 2006
VoodooPC

Priceless!

That was because K7s were kicking the crap out of Willamettes and Tualatins. Susely none of them has dominated but it's been healthy a competition for everyone of us.

5 years ago? Not exactly. Initially, Willamette sucked ass (6 years ago) but after the introduction of 1.7GHz Willamette, things started to change (Thunderbird still outperformed Willamette but not by much). After the release of Athlon XP in Oct 2001, AMD got a clear lead but only for 3 months. In Jan 2002, Northwood CPUs were introduced.

And you're absolutely right. Competition is healthy for all of us. Competition makes sure Intel or AMD doesn't give us Celerons/Semprons for $500. It would be terrible for AMD or Intel to go under.

Actually, I think it might be fun. Imagine Intel went under and Sharikou started paying $500 for a Sempron CPU.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

Too true -- but again, BM has an issue stretching out the time scale.That's because most of us remember what job we were working at, say 5 years ago... but BM is the Jack-of-all-trades, and can't remember which job he was at ,and when? Analyst, Janitor/window washer, Rapper, Author, security gaurd, or Intel engineer. I'm sure there are many more in his resume' that he hasn't bragged about to us also. :wink:

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Isnt IBM supposed to make Cell based apache servers or something ? Couldnt one run some benchmarks on that ? (I honestly dont know) I also believe that the Cell in the PS3 will have only seven SPU's as one of them will be disabled at the factory. Or is it they have nine and one is disabled its so hard to remember when you read so much lol I dont think the servers will get too much market as those guys are pretty scepticle of things.

Edit: I do think it could be a great CPU for some scientific work matched with some uber high end hardware or just a bunch of PS3's clustered like they did with the PS2's lol Super comp on the cheap ? How much ram are they planning on packing into that thing ? My tired brain seems to think I read something like 512 megs... ahhh I cheated and looked it up 256Megs of XDR ram at 3.2Ghz ??? and 256Megs of GDDR3 at 700Mhz hmmm thats odd. I wonder how sony has that mapped out ? GDDR is graphics ram. That seems kinda slow to me but the 3.2Ghz XDR sounds sweet !

There are already IBM Cell blades.

Ars

Reg

gr8mikey

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002

Too true -- but again, BM has an issue stretching out the time scale.That's because most of us remember what job we were working at, say 5 years ago... but BM is the Jack-of-all-trades, and can't remember which job he was at ,and when? Analyst, Janitor/window washer, Rapper, Author, security gaurd, or Intel engineer. I'm sure there are many more in his resume' that he hasn't bragged about to us also. :wink:

Hey, you forgot programmer/software engineer. He used to work for a company that was bought by microsoft.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
VoodooPC

Priceless!

For about 2 seconds until K8 debuted almost 4 years ago.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Back to the subject. Quotes from Mr Sood.

OK, what do think about Theo's take on this. http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32628 What were you saying about market share again? :) "....AMD is in for a huge challenge, however, they won’t simply take market share as easily as they did before..." And I might add, This is quite a departure from your Prudential conference call. I really was suprised not to see a summary of that call on your Blog.

What do you mean? I haven't changed my tune from the call at all - AMD will still win market share in notebooks, desktops, servers, and workstations... It won't be as easy as it once was/could have been - but they will simply because of their leadership up until now. I also said (on the call) that Conroe was a VERY strong product, but expressed concerns about Intel being able to produce volume. I stand by everything I said...

mjp1618

Distinguished
May 7, 2006

OK, what do think about Theo's take on this. http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32628 What were you saying about market share again? :) "....AMD is in for a huge challenge, however, they won’t simply take market share as easily as they did before..." And I might add, This is quite a departure from your Prudential conference call. I really was suprised not to see a summary of that call on your Blog.

What do you mean? I haven't changed my tune from the call at all - AMD will still win market share in notebooks, desktops, servers, and workstations... It won't be as easy as it once was/could have been - but they will simply because of their leadership up until now. I also said (on the call) that Conroe was a VERY strong product, but expressed concerns about Intel being able to produce volume. I stand by everything I said...

Yeah, he is still definitely pro-AMD. But he has proven that he is intelligent and not stubbornly stupid like some other bloggers we all know...

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006

Yeah, he is still definitely pro-AMD. But he has proven that he is intelligent and not stubbornly stupid like some other bloggers we all know...
Sharikou?

mjp1618

Distinguished
May 7, 2006

Sharikou?

Of course... :D But not the only one... I am sure there are more...

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006

Sharikou?

Of course... :D But not the only one... I am sure there are more... Leave MMM alone he was cool. Just he got too angry sometimes.

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
Leave MMM alone he was cool. Just he got too angry sometimes.

:) He had good points granted, but you must admit, when he came unglued, he came UNglued :) and that was just more than sometimes. He did not liked to be challenged on his authority of computers....and he refused to accept the obvious, still does if you read the blog :) I know but i dont read blog's cause they piss me off it's all the same some guy got mad and is ranting and s**t! It's annoying.

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
Ok guys hope you like this

Pentium 4 Paradise

(Pentium 4's Paradise sung to the tune of Coolio's Gangsta Paradise)

As I walk through the valley in the shadow of pentium 3
I take a look at my Architecture and see there's nothing left for me to improve on
Cuz I've had my clocks and steps increased so many times
Even the shareholder's think that the Ceo's mind is gone
But i never deserved this crap i did my job and now i'm just scrap
I cant bear getting treated like Garbage and you know thats unfair
A64 you better watch now what you do cause you might end up like me
Useless and not even wanted for free
I really hate to say this Paul but dont
f*** up like Craig did with me or you might end up like him
on your knees begging for a job at dell
I'm the proc that every celeron and powerpc wanted to be like but no more
I'm my saying prayers everyday to not end up like commodore 64

Chorus:
Been spending most our lives living in the pentium 4's Paradise
Keep spending most our lives living in the pentium 4's Paradise

This the situation
They got me facin
I cant live with no more Pipes
I was created by men who designed proc's of many types
So I gotta be down with the design team
Too much Conroe Speculation got me chasin dreams
Im an elaborate proc created with money on the Craig's mind
Got memory controller in my chipset and 800mhz as my bus
I'm a Tired ol Proc and an Ocing Master
All my Core's are down with me
Willamette,Northwood,Prescott,Cedarmill,Smithfeild,And Presler
Obsoleteness aint nuthin but a clockcycle away
Yo Conroe, what can I say?
Im 6, now but will I be around to see 7
The way it's goin, I dunno

Chorus:
Tell me why is intel so blind to see
That the ones they hurt are you and me

Been spending most our lives living in the Pentium 4's Paradise
Keep spending most our lives living in the Pentium 4's Paradise

Power and the Voltage, voltage and the power
Minute after minute, hour after hour
Everybodys runnin for conroe, but half of them aint lookin
At whats goin on in the lab
Right behind the fab
They say I gotta Slowdown stop taking so much power, but nobody knows how
If they cant rebuild me, how can they expect me?
I guess they cant
I guess they wont
I guess they consider me a runt
Thats why I know my time is up, fool

Chorus:

Tell me why intel is so blind to see
That the ones we hurt are you and me

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
Leave MMM alone he was cool. Just he got too angry sometimes.

You mean like MMM left people alone who failed to drop to their knees in worship of his opinion, or ...gasp... dared to disagree with him? Are you implying that I'm MMM's bitch? Hell no he is my freind but i aint gonna agree with everything he says.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

Pentium 4 Paradise

I take a look at my Architecture and see there's nothing left for me to improve on

Chorus:

This the situation
They got me facin

Chorus:

Right behind the fab
I guess they cant
I guess they wont

Chorus:

Cheer.

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006

Pentium 4 Paradise

Chorus:

This the situation
They got me facin

Chorus:

Right behind the fab
I guess they cant
I guess they wont

Chorus:

Cheer. How the hell am i supposed to reply to cheer? Hmm i got it!

our_secrets_home.jpg