raid 0 game loading times

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Professional skepticism? Right.

I gave you links, I gave you hardcore evidence from people going from a single drive to RAID 0 and they said it DID improve GAME LOADING times. Were you reading at all or did you dismiss them as soon as you saw the links?

You have a variety of sources to back you up? What were all those links I gave you? Just figments of everyone's imagination? Look at yourself, before you start shooting out words like "professional skepticism".

I would have to say a complete stranger who I don't even know is good "independent 3rd party data".

You keep on burying yourself, superfly03.

I'm done with this thread because you're too arrogant and proud to see past your own views.

H
A
N
D!

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Professional skepticism? Right.

I gave you links, I gave you hardcore evidence from people going from a single drive to RAID 0 and they said it DID improve GAME LOADING times. Were you reading at all or did you dismiss them as soon as you saw the links?

You have a variety of sources to back you up? What were all those links I gave you? Just figments of everyone's imagination? Look at yourself, before you start shooting out words like "professional skepticism".

I would have to say a complete stranger who I don't even know is good "independent 3rd party data".

You keep on burying yourself, superfly03.

I'm done with this thread because you're too arrogant and proud to see past your own views.

H
A
N
D!

I give you maximum pc data, anandtech data, overclockers.com data and you give me threads with no data. You give me users who may or may not have qualifications. you have to assess the quality of evidence, its source, the qualifications of the people doing the testing. Perceptions of some users in a forum isn't data.

Can you define professional skepticism in context?

Arrogance is the inability to admit when you are wrong... you haven't given me any reason to admit I am wrong. When you do I will say I am wrong, until such time don't expect me to back down.

Use your search button, I admit when I am wrong.

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
...here... here is a simple search on google i just made... entering the search parameters 'raid 0 game performance review'

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=raid+0+game+performance+review&btnG=Google+Search

if youll notice, none of the results that came up, are indicative of what a couple people said in those links you provided, if you bypass the forum thread links, which just contain general questions and discussion (much like this thread)... youll see exactly whats trying to be said here, and why raid 0 benefits in the situations it does, and why it doesnt... and test results that prove conclusively what were saying.

you can vary those search parameters, and youll be guaranteed to still get nearly the same types of results... that raid 0 does not offer the types of improvements youre claiming (except in specific situations, and even more specific types of games... and FPS games, are almost never among them)

whats also nice, is that benchmark reviews are fairly reproducable... unlike certain other things...

navysealbrian

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
The 2 benchmarks mentioned on the front page are questionable. I have noticed that those 2 links give benchmarks from weakers systems. A 2.8 and 3.4 Ghz Pentium 4. Come on, there's the bottleneck right there. What I really want to see is a Core 2 Duo or the quad variant with 2 or 4 GB of the lowest latency RAM shoved with 8800 GTXs in SLI. Then do a test. Two Raptor 150 GB will run for less than $450. If you're willing to spend $450 just for 300 GB, you better not be stupid and get a Pentium 4. When you benchmark something, you need to limit all the other possible bottlenecks first, then you can test to see if there are any benefits. What if I got a Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz with 512 MB of RAM and then benchmarked the 8800 GTX against the X1900 XTX with Oblivion. It would look like the 8800 is a horrible deal, when in reality, the 8800 GTX came out much better than many thought it would.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I agree, but that isn't what most users use. I too would like to see that, and combine it with games like Oblivion that are really torture tests so we get a clear picture.

When that benchmark was run (the one on the P4 you are referring to) the P4 was the predominate CPU (or equivalent A64, idk which ones though) and Doom 3 was one of the newest games on the block and at the time it was pretty intense, and still is. however, now we have the C2D and games like FEAR, Oblivion, etc... so what we need is an update. If I had a C2D system I would run the benchies myself and post my exact process and results, but I am not in a position to do that yet.

russki

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Hate to be that guy, but what did I tell you? People just want to hear what they want to hear....

Again, like you said, no credible (reproducible) documented benchmarks to prove their point, yet they are going to tout their perception, like you so rightfully noticed.

It is, therefore, pointless.

russki

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Hate to be that guy, but what did I tell you? People just want to hear what they want to hear....

Again, like you said, no credible (reproducible) documented benchmarks to prove their point, yet they are going to tout their perception, like you so rightfully noticed.

It is, therefore, pointless.

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
yeah, lol... i definetly was almost to the point of giving up about half way through, was just getting tired, frustrated, and discouraged... sometimes people really just dont listen... ...the only reason i kept trying to pursue the main point, is because there are other people who know this also, and were posting as well... it was encouraging enough though to say the least, to keep going :)

hopefully this thread has just died off, and that theres enough factual evidence in it now for people to see the truth (in regards to this thread topic)... hopefully.

okay... then you can honestly tell me, that having 4 raptors in raid 0 is going to nearly cut my game loading time down to 1/4 then, of a single raptor?? or down from 1 minute to load a level on a single raptor, down to only ~15 seconds?

now... do you think youre honestly being realistic then, if you think thats close to being remotely true in most cases? (when it comes to game level loading)
I do not think its going to be that far....but it will be better then 1....i mean it always depends on the game....after all once the cpu cant keep up decompressing it is not going to get any faster...

either way lets just let this die.....when of get some more 120's maybe i will benchmark it with some games that do see a speed increase....like the decompression in guild wars :)