I am bad a usernames

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2015
I am relatively knowledgeable in the PC building space, but little experience. In my new build I want to fiddle around with RAID a bit just for the fun of it. I want a mix of redundancy and increased speed for my hard drives. From what I could find, which most of it is from 6+ years ago, you probably want a RAID card to run RAID 5 but I dont feel like messing with another component in the PC. So then I was trying to look around and see if I would need one for RAID 10.

My next CPU will probably be a new Ryzen 7000 series, 8 core if they continue with how their spread was in the past. I dont want my performance to take a hit because this is just an extra thing and i dont really need it.

thanks for any input.

Solution
A RAID 5 rebuild is on the order of 1.5-2 hours per TB of consumed space.
Yes, I've tested this.
That is constant hammering across all drives in the array.

And if you have 3-4-5 drives all bought at the same time, and are rebuilding the RAID 5 because one of them died...it may well lead to one of the others dying in the process.

I am bad a usernames

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2015
Honestly, RAID is to be avoided without a compelling reason. And backing up isn't one of them; RAID is not a backup strategy.
Its not for backing up, i know that raid is not a backup strat for several reasons, including that corruption will follow into the parity devices. I am curious why you think it should be avoided, and why “i feel like exploring” is not a compelling enough reason.

I am bad a usernames

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2015
Depends on the motherboard.
Some can do that natively.

A RAID card, however, can often (but not always) be moved with the drives to a different board.

Keep good backups.
But the reason we asked and warned is because we see far too many people thinking it is a magical speed device, or a backup. Or in the case of RAID 10, both.

It is not.
well I am aware that parity does not equal a backup. I am also aware that it does not make the computer lighting fast. I just think it would be slightly cool to have RAID in my system, whether it gives a benefit or not.
I have just read a lot of information that RAID 5 will take up a fair amount of CPU resources, and was curious if RAID 10 would not have these issues since its just a mirror. Because if my understanding is correct RAID5 has to make specific calculations about the data incase it needs to be repaired. Also heard that RAID5 is really slow if it does need to rebuild the data, increasing the chance for the other drive to fail and then losing all the data anyway.

USAFRet

Titan
A RAID 5 rebuild is on the order of 1.5-2 hours per TB of consumed space.
Yes, I've tested this.
That is constant hammering across all drives in the array.

And if you have 3-4-5 drives all bought at the same time, and are rebuilding the RAID 5 because one of them died...it may well lead to one of the others dying in the process.

Solution

DSzymborski

Titan
the purpose is because im curious, i want to, and why not? To be honest why is not really in the question. It was if i needed a Raid card or not.

Why is always part the question. If I tell my doctor that I plan to only eat bacon for breakfast every day, he's going to question why.

If you just want to play, go ahead. But it's objectively counterproductive in all but a few specific use-cases. It's not even really good for nerd cred (in fact, just the opposite).

USAFRet

Titan