[SOLVED] RAM at different speeds

Jake311202

Prominent
Apr 23, 2020
Hi, I have brought 2 Corsair vengeance RAM sticks of 8GB in each, they run at 3200 and I have 2 older Corsair vengeance RAM sticks of 4 in each, Ive brought a new motherboard with enough space to fit the 4 ram sticks, as I want as much ram as I can, could I use the 2 4gb and the 28gb together? My worry is that the 2 older ram cards only run at 2133 I am pretty sure and the new ones can run at 3200, they are both DDR4. Would all 4 ram cards be able to run okay if they are all put in?

Solution
Mixing RAM bought separately is never guaranteed to work together without issues, even if you buy the same make and model. This is why RAM is sold in matched kits. However you can try and see if it runs. If it does work all RAM will be downclocked to the speed of the slowest RAM. Yo will need to check your motherboard manual and put an 8Gb and a 4Gb in each channel to give you the best chance of the RAM running in dual channel mode.
Mixing RAM bought separately is never guaranteed to work together without issues, even if you buy the same make and model. This is why RAM is sold in matched kits. However you can try and see if it runs. If it does work all RAM will be downclocked to the speed of the slowest RAM. Yo will need to check your motherboard manual and put an 8Gb and a 4Gb in each channel to give you the best chance of the RAM running in dual channel mode.

Solution