[SOLVED] Ram compatibility for Asus ROG B450-f gaming motherboard

Aug 11, 2020
Greetings

So I'm receiving in a couple of days the motherboard name above, and while doing some research, I came across the fact that mobos have a compatibility list for RAM. This is wreaking my nerves, because this is my first build and I don't want to ruin it for choosing the wrong RAM kit, hopefully you guys can help me here. My plan was to buy the Corsair vengeance LPX 2x8 (16gb) 3200 mhz, but I've seen reviews and videos showing that RAM can get your system to crash if one activates the XMP profile, witch is what I want to do, since i want to use all the ram speed I paid for.

Part list:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
Mobo: Asus ROG B450-f gaming motherboard
Ram: Corsair vengeance LPX 2x8 (16gb) c16 at 3200 mhz (https://www.amazon.com/-/es/gp/product/B0143UM4TC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 )
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 5600 XT
Storage: Kingston 250 gb ssd and Barracuda 2 tb HDD
PSU: EVGA 600W br 80+ bronce

Dont worry about the case

Maybe you guys can help me find a compatible RAM kit for a similar price as the LPX, since my budget is 800$ max.

Reactions: Dx2Tony
Solution
NO i'm not saying that, read carefully.

List the part number of the kit you wish to choose or see if they are listed on the QVL. This is to ensure their compatibility and that they have been tested.
I'ts not a guarantee they will work (plug and play so to speak) initially and may require manual changes in Bios for timings and voltage. As I said, you have OC RAM and 3200MHz which is beyond the JDEC standard so they may initially boot at a lower frequency than their rated frequency.
XMP profiles are meant for Intel chips and D.O.C.P are the AMD equivalent.
It is best if you learn your Bios to manually enter Bios values for correct SPD timings and voltage.

Here is the Motherboard QVL for DIMMs that have been tested and known to work with the motherboard.
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...G/Memory_QVL_3rd_Gen_AMD_Ryzen_Processors.pdf

Make sure to update your Bios to latest (version 3103) and the chipset driver.

The Vengeance kit you have chosen are at 3200MHz. They are "OC" ram and will default initially to a lower frequency. You will have to manually enter SPD values in Bios to get them to their rated frequency. l

Aug 11, 2020
XMP profiles are meant for Intel chips and D.O.C.P are the AMD equivalent.
It is best if you learn your Bios to manually enter Bios values for correct SPD timings and voltage.

Here is the Motherboard QVL for DIMMs that have been tested and known to work with the motherboard.
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...G/Memory_QVL_3rd_Gen_AMD_Ryzen_Processors.pdf

Make sure to update your Bios to latest (version 3103) and the chipset driver.

The Vengeance kit you have chosen are at 3200MHz. They are "OC" ram and will default initially to a lower frequency. You will have to manually enter SPD values in Bios to get them to their rated frequency. l

So you're saying that the ram kit I want will work with my mobo AND will also run consistently at 3200 mhz with the D.O.C.P profile without any problem?

List the part number of the kit you wish to choose or see if they are listed on the QVL. This is to ensure their compatibility and that they have been tested.
I'ts not a guarantee they will work (plug and play so to speak) initially and may require manual changes in Bios for timings and voltage. As I said, you have OC RAM and 3200MHz which is beyond the JDEC standard so they may initially boot at a lower frequency than their rated frequency.

Solution
Aug 11, 2020

Awesome man, thanks.

Aug 11, 2020
I am using the same mobo and ram (single stick 8 GB ), and using it with DOCP profile activated... and it is working really fine

Excellent brother, that's all I needed to read, thanks.

Maybe later down the line I've back here to share my experience building and using the PC, or even if I need help troubleshooting an issue.

simonyeeklang

Distinguished
BANNED
Aug 22, 2011
Greetings

So I'm receiving in a couple of days the motherboard name above, and while doing some research, I came across the fact that mobos have a compatibility list for RAM. This is wreaking my nerves, because this is my first build and I don't want to ruin it for choosing the wrong RAM kit, hopefully you guys can help me here. My plan was to buy the Corsair vengeance LPX 2x8 (16gb) 3200 mhz, but I've seen reviews and videos showing that RAM can get your system to crash if one activates the XMP profile, witch is what I want to do, since i want to use all the ram speed I paid for.

Part list:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
Mobo: Asus ROG B450-f gaming motherboard
Ram: Corsair vengeance LPX 2x8 (16gb) c16 at 3200 mhz (https://www.amazon.com/-/es/gp/product/B0143UM4TC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 )
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 5600 XT
Storage: Kingston 250 gb ssd and Barracuda 2 tb HDD
PSU: EVGA 600W br 80+ bronce

Dont worry about the case

Maybe you guys can help me find a compatible RAM kit for a similar price as the LPX, since my budget is 800$ max.
HyperX HX426C16FB3K2/16 is a kit of two 1G x 64-bit (8GB) DDR4-2666 CL16 SDRAM (Synchronous DRAM) 1Rx8, memory module, based on eight 1G x 8-bit FBGA components per module. Each module kit supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profiles (Intel® XMP) 2.0. Total kit capacity is 16GB. Each module has been tested to run at DDR4-2666 at a low latency timing of 16-18-18 at 1.2V. Additional timing parameters are shown in the Plug-N-Play (PnP) Timing Parameters section below. The JEDEC standard electrical and mechanical specifications are as follows:

FACTORY TIMING PARAMETERS • Default (Plug N Play): DDR4-2666 CL16-18-18 @1.2V • XMP Profile #1: DDR4-2666 CL16-18-18 @1.2V

https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/HX426C16FB3K2_16.pdf

May 12, 2023
I have ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming with a Ryzen 5 3600X and it says the motherboard supports up to 128GB.
I sent a message to ASUS and they sent a QVL tested and supported list. The only support i see is 8*16GB Ram but i only have 4 ram slots... So would i need an expansion card in order to get the full 128GB ram or could i go with Corsair 4*32GB Ram although it isn't on the QVL?
PS. I am a 3D artist who uses 3DS Max, Maya, Premiere Pro, After Effects, etc.