thecoolj

Honorable
Jun 3, 2018
Hello guys, I'm looking to upgrade my ram to 64gb from 32gb (2x16gb) just to have more headroom when creating music (I like to compose with memory intensive virtual instruments). I was initially going to just grab another set of 2x16 modules for a total of 4x16, however, it looks like my Ryzen 2600x doesn't support quad channel memory. I took a look at my motherboard's qualified vendors list and the only qualified configurations I can find for 64gb ram is 4x16. Does anyone know if I could just use a 2x32gb configuration instead or would I be looking at a lot of performance issues?
My main specs are as follows:
ASUS Prime B350m-a/CSM
Ryzen 2600x
GTX 1070 TI
Corsair CX650M

I may have to upgrade to a newer motherboard but I would like a bit more input before I spend another 100 bucks.
Thank you.

Solution
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
Ram must be matched for proper operation.
You may not be successful in just adding 32gb.
Ryzen is dual channel only, regardless if you have 2 or 4 sticks.
If a 4 x 16gb kit is not on the QVL list, it will likely be on the supported list of some ram vendor.

RealBeast

Titan
I would not suggest getting memory that is not on the QVL, particularly for an older AMD board. Take a look at g.skill.com and see if there is anything in their memory configuration calculator that is guaranteed to work for your setup.

Edit: took a quick look there and no, only a 4x16 set. See HERE.

A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
If a 4 x 16gb kit is not on the QVL list, it will likely be on the supported list of some ram vendor.

Solution

thecoolj

Honorable
Jun 3, 2018
I would not suggest getting memory that is not on the QVL, particularly for an older AMD board. Take a look at g.skill.com and see if there is anything in their memory configuration calculator that is guaranteed to work for your setup.

Edit: took a quick look there and no, only a 4x16 set. See HERE.
I see. This is what I was afraid of haha. Guess I'm in the market for a new motherboard. Thank you for the response.

thecoolj

Honorable
Jun 3, 2018
That's unfortunately what I figured. Thank you for the input.

TRENDING THREADS