[SOLVED] Ram of Motherboard problem?

John1029

Honorable
Feb 8, 2017
A while ago I had quite a few crashing issues which I "solved" by removing a stick of ram. Now I'm just wondering if the issue is my ram, mobo, or a software issue.
The issue was very inconsistent across applications so it was hard to test and may not even be 100% solved but was much better after going to one stick.
I'd have to double check but I think my ram speed it set through just changing the frequency with everything else on left on auto.

Mobo: rog strix b450-f gaming
ram: 2x8(currently 1x) 3000mhz tridentz
cpu: ryzen 3900x
gpu: rog strix 1080 ti
psu: seasonic focus plus 750w

Solution
So far both have passed without errors. Would memtest show errors if the slot was the problem or would a bad slot only cause issues during use or dual channel use or am I stuck just assuming it's a slot issue.

I'm currently running a test in the second slot but am off to bed so I can't report till tomorrow

If the slot is bad it should show errors regardless. If, however, you don't get any errors while testing out that slot alone then the issue is dual channel which is controlled by the memory controller on the motherboard (so still a motherboard issue). I guess let us know the details of your overnight test, at least you proved it wasn't the RAM sticks that are the issue. Also I hope you're testing the RAM sticks at the same...
You should try running memtest on each stick, one at a time of course. If the stick that you deemed was "bad" shows errors while plugged into the same RAM slot as the other stick, which hopefully doesn't show any errors, then it's conclusive that the RAM stick is bad. However if memtest shows no issue with either RAM stick then it's most likely a bad RAM slot and thus your motherboard is at fault.

John1029

Honorable
Feb 8, 2017
You should try running memtest on each stick, one at a time of course. If the stick that you deemed was "bad" shows errors while plugged into the same RAM slot as the other stick, which hopefully doesn't show any errors, then it's conclusive that the RAM stick is bad. However if memtest shows no issue with either RAM stick then it's most likely a bad RAM slot and thus your motherboard is at fault.
So far both have passed without errors. Would memtest show errors if the slot was the problem or would a bad slot only cause issues during use or dual channel use or am I stuck just assuming it's a slot issue.

I'm currently running a test in the second slot but am off to bed so I can't report till tomorrow

If the slot is bad it should show errors regardless. If, however, you don't get any errors while testing out that slot alone then the issue is dual channel which is controlled by the memory controller on the motherboard (so still a motherboard issue). I guess let us know the details of your overnight test, at least you proved it wasn't the RAM sticks that are the issue. Also I hope you're testing the RAM sticks at the same XMP settings you're normally on. If you were letting them run at stock settings then it would most likely not show any errors if there are any since it's more stable.

Solution
All tests came back without errors so at this point I'd think its' pretty safe to assume its a mobo issue. I may do some sanity checks, testing in a few other configurations.

yeah gotta get thorough, though perhaps it's a software issue, either windows is corrupted or maybe your drive is failing. The point of failure can come from many sources. Try looking at windows event viewer > windows logs > and check the events in the application and system section. It might give more info on what caused the application crashes.

John1029

Honorable
Feb 8, 2017
yeah gotta get thorough, though perhaps it's a software issue, either windows is corrupted or maybe your drive is failing. The point of failure can come from many sources. Try looking at windows event viewer > windows logs > and check the events in the application and system section. It might give more info on what caused the application crashes.
This was an issue I had for quite a while and if I recall persisted across multiple windows installs and drives. I'll still check event viewer next time I experience a crash but the only software issue I'd think is a compatibility issue or configuration issue

What is the exact RAM model number?
f4-3000c16d-166gtzr

Last edited: