RAM speed lower than it should be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 3, 2018
Hello, so I've downloaded CPU-Z and realised that my RAM speed is 800MHz when it's supposed to be 1600MHz. When I entered the BIOS, it says that the speed is 1600MHz. So I guess my question is, if there is anything I can do to boost RAM speed? What can be changed via BIOSs AI Tweaker? My motherboard is ASUS A68HM-K, Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL11 1.5V

Solution
CPU-Z shows the true ram speed of the ram stick, which is half the speed that is shown on the website

remember that DDR stands for Double Data Rate and will run twice the speed of the true ram speed.

So what is happening here is that CPU-Z will show the ram speed excluding the Double Data Rate
800 Mhz + Double Data Rate = 1600Mhz
Because 800 x 2 = 1600Mhz

Nothing wrong with your Ram ;)

MLG_No_Scope

Respectable
May 23, 2017
CPU-Z shows the true ram speed of the ram stick, which is half the speed that is shown on the website

remember that DDR stands for Double Data Rate and will run twice the speed of the true ram speed.

So what is happening here is that CPU-Z will show the ram speed excluding the Double Data Rate
800 Mhz + Double Data Rate = 1600Mhz
Because 800 x 2 = 1600Mhz

Nothing wrong with your Ram ;)

Solution
Oct 3, 2018

Thank you for anwsering so quickly! Although if that was the case DRAM Frequency should be exact 800 and what I should have mentioned in my first post is - my DRAM Frequency is 811.8MHz. Does that change anything? Sorry for my dumb questions, I am not very good when it comes to computers :)

MLG_No_Scope

Respectable
May 23, 2017
The DRAM Frequency is more or less like an live counter that tells you what the speed is at that moment. it can sometimes be a bit slower or faster. the change is very little to notice as example, seeing a difference between 60 frames and 61 frames.
So the DRAM Speed doesn't have to be exact 800, but more around that number, if it like 500, then it is a problem.

Oct 3, 2018

Once again, thank you for your anwser. I'd still like to consult you with one more thing. Playing video games at lowest graphics, aa off and it gets me 60 FPS tops, I've recently installed an SSD, my GPU isn't the problem either and as we just established, my rams aren't the problem aswell. Any solutions or insights?

MLG_No_Scope

Respectable
May 23, 2017
I could be the CPU that is having to much work compared to the GPU as it simly cannot keep up.

while gaming, enable V-Sync. V-Sync limit's the amount of frames produces. that way the pc doesn't heat up that fast and the cpu can keep up easier.

if you are not sure what cause any possible problems, try to check your taskmanager and see if any parts are working to hard.
and ignore the little details in the performance tab for live speeds, as they are not perfect ;)

Oct 3, 2018

Thank you for your help buddy!

Status
Not open for further replies.