Question Random blackout/PC crash with LG 27GN950-B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 10, 2021
Hi there everyone! I've been getting random black screens that cause the pc to crash out entirely, it still stays on but is completely unresponsive. I can't seem to replicate the crash either, it's happened both when gaming and when I'm simply idle on the desktop, i have recently gotten a new 4K display and its only started happening with this monitor (weird), the display is over DisplayPort 1.4 and feeds into my 6900XT, drivers have been stable for me on my previous monitor (3840x1600) so i can't really see how it's that? I have run a few checks, such as "sfc /scannow" and i have, also run a complete system scan with 0 issues. Here is a picture showcasing system history and crashes. I can't think its anything hardware related aside from maybe my RAM is on its way out, but it's not too old (2018 brand new from then, 32GB 3600mhz). Drivers for my 6900XT have only been bad when running DirectX12 API from certain games, but this issue is really bad, can't seem to put my finger on it, any and all suggestions would be appreciated!

System Specs
-Intel Core i9 9900K (Stock Clock)
-XFX AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT MERC 319 18GB DDR6
-MSI MEG Z-390 Godlike
-LG 27GN950-B
-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4x 8GB Config) 3200MHz DDR4
-NZXT Kraken X73 360mm Liquid CPU Cooler
-PHANTEKS PH-P1200PS 1200w Platinum Rated PSU
-Samsung 970 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 NVMe PCIe SSD
-3x TEAMGROUP 1TB DELTA MAX RGB SSD
-Patriot Burst 960GB 2.5" SATA III SSD
-Seagate BarraCuda 2TB SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive
-Samsung Portable SSD T5 2TB
-Corsair LL120 Dual Light Loop PWM Fan (120mm) RGB LED
-BeQueit 5x120mm silent wing 3 Fans

Feb 28, 2021
I think you are not the only one having this problems, there is a large following of people that have recently came across this random crashes, Check Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> System and find the Error log to see what it says in General

Mar 10, 2021
I think you are not the only one having this problems, there is a large following of people that have recently came across this random crashes, Check Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> System and find the Error log to see what it says in General
Thanks for getting back to me! It seems that within the event viewer there is this issue. Kernel-Power ID 41, and that's from me having to force close the PC. I've also done some digging and seen this thread on Reddit talking about the same kinda issue but to do with the cable connected to the monitor. I am already running an aftermarket cable that should be more than sufficient for the display bandwidth (8K 60fps/4K 160fps compatible), I have since been running the monitor with the overclock on with the latest firmware and haven't seemed to have a cashout yet. That being said it normally takes a few hours for a crash to happen.

Mar 10, 2021
Update: Only seems to be occurring when playing league of legends, i have since uninstalled and ran multiple scans/integrity checkers to see if there are some underlying issues. The only other game it has crashed out on was Quake Champions so far, League crashed out multiple times a game so made it basically unplayable. Will update as i test more games. I'm sure its not to do with the cable as i already have a higher end cable than the one suggested on the original reddit post.

Mar 10, 2021
Further update, used DDU to do a clean install of all drivers, as of today I'm using 21.2.3 on my 6900 XT and it seems stable, played a total of 5 games of league of legends and that was the main game causing me issues, seems to be fixed now though. I Will updated again soon.

Mar 10, 2021
Update: Crashes still occurred, swapped the display port on my 6900XT and played a few games had 0 issues but so far that doesn't seem to be a fix, as earlier i played around 5 games and thought it was fixed only to then have it crash on me, will see if this fix is still working tomorrow if not will most likely have to send the monitor back due to simply being incompatible at some level with my hardware. Played a few matches of Overwatch on my second system with the monitor and it ran okay (R9 380X) while connecting a standard 144hz 1080p display to my main monitor for an hour or so, that too ran okay. As mentioned will update again tomorrow to see if the swap of display ports fixes anything.

Mar 10, 2021
Final update: After much troubleshooting, complete windows reinstall, near enough all display drivers including windows drivers from 2006, AMD Relive, all amounted to no changes. I thought i had fixed it after gaming the whole day with 0 issues until around 11 pm where it crashed out, no point in having a 1K monitor only to have it be a ticking timebomb taking my system with it. Really sucks as it truly is a great monitor. I hope this thread helps some people who might be experiencing this similar problem to my own. Sadly i think this was a defect with my monitor as i have tried two of my other monitors (1080p 240hz and 3840x1600 175hz) and they both run fine on the same hardware/drivers.

Apr 7, 2021
¡Bro! I'm Nick and I have the same issue... You are not alone, and if you help me, maybe we can find solution. And yes... might be monitor issue... My setup is:

MOBO: MSI Gaming Edge wifi B550
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 3.6-4.2
GPU: MSI RTX 3070 GAMING X TRIO 8GB (pci-e gen4 activated)
RAM: 2x8 TRIDENT Z 3200 (activated xmp 2.0 profile)
SSD: Western Digital Black NVME pci-e gen.3
HDD: Seagate 7200rpm 2tb
Be quiet CPU COOLER Pure Rock 2
Antec Chasis (2x20mm fan front/1x14mm fan back)
Monitor: Samsung C32JG5X / 1440p-144hz

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.