[SOLVED] Random overheats with AIO

Jul 23, 2021
Hi guys!

I am in a weird situation that I do not undertsand.
I have a Ryzen 5 3600 with a SilentiumPC spc219 navis rgb 240 AIO coooler. I have been running this setup for over a year with no issues. I had my cpu temps 30-35c iddle and 70-75c under load.
This is still the case but the cpu starts randomly overheating to 100+ degrees like it has no cooling at all while my fans run on full speed.
It does not even need to be under load to do this it can happen when its iddle in win10.
The weird thing is that if I reboot and start BIOS it cools down most of the time and does not overheat at all if I leave it for an hour on the BIOS hardware monitoring screen to watch temps.
I recently cleaned my fans and blew all the dust out that I could find. Not overclocking at all, I just have XMP and ryzen CPB on.³
Could there be anything in windows 10 that would cause random overheats or what would be the reason here?

My setup:
MSI b450 tomahawk max
Ryzen 5 3600
Silentiumpc spc219 rgb navis 240 AIO
MSI rtx2060s
16gb hyperx 3200mhz ram

*edit: forget the BIOS part, cpu temp started to rise randomly there as well. now.

Last edited:
Solution
If one tube is hot and the other room temperature the the pump is not pumping water through the loop.
AIO's are "popular" but not the greatest cooling investment. Most die within a few years. Either the pump fails or the microfins on the CPU cold plate gets clogged.
Or you could be one of the lucky ones and it last 5-7 years. Luck of the draw.
Hi guys!

I am in a weird situation that I do not undertsand.
I have a Ryzen 5 3600 with a SilentiumPC spc219 navis rgb 240 AIO coooler. I have been running this setup for over a year with no issues. I had my cpu temps 30-35c iddle and 70-75c under load.
This is still the case but the cpu starts randomly overheating to 100+ degrees like it has no cooling at all while my fans run on full speed.
It does not even need to be under load to do this it can happen when its iddle in win10.
The weird thing is that if I reboot and start BIOS it cools down most of the time and does not overheat at all if I leave it for an hour on the BIOS hardware monitoring screen to watch temps.
I recently cleaned my fans and blew all the dust out that I could find. Not overclocking at all, I just have XMP and ryzen CPB on.³
Could there be anything in windows 10 that would cause random overheats or what would be the reason here?

My setup:
MSI b450 tomahawk max
Ryzen 5 3600
Silentiumpc spc219 rgb navis 240 AIO
MSI rtx2060s
16gb hyperx 3200mhz ram

*edit: forget the BIOS part, cpu temp started to rise randomly there as well. now.
Check pump speed, set to full speed all the time.

BIOS shows pump speed 0 RPM for me at all times, not sure why tho. But it definitely works as it cools the CPU back down as well but then spikes up to high temp again. So not sure if I can even tinker with the pump speed.
See if you can set/connect it so it runs full speed all the time. There's a known bug in some BIOS versions on some MBs to occasionally stop a fan/pump header.

Jul 23, 2021
See if you can set/connect it so it runs full speed all the time. There's a known bug in some BIOS versions on some MBs to occasionally stop a fan/pump header.
I see, thank you I will see if I could make it to run at all-time full speed somehow. It used to cool properly at all times up to this point thouhg and I did not update BIOS for quite a while.

Reactions: CountMike
Jul 23, 2021
Alright so what I've done so far is cleaned the AIO fans/radiator, updated BIOS and replaced thermal paste.
Seemed to be okay for several hours then temp spiked up to 90+ again. It cools down after a while and keeps running at normal temps. Today I had it running games and stuff for around 5-6 hours before I got a spike to 90-100C and it doesnt want to cool down atm.
My pump RPM still shows as '0'. It always did though but ran like this for over a year with no issue.
Any ideas ? AIO died after a year ? I'm thinking of replacing it with the stock Ryzen cooler for now until I get a proper cooler and to see if there would be any spikes in temperature with that as well.

Jul 23, 2021
To also mention I touched the two pipes between the pump and the radiator and one of them was hot while the other one kind of room temp. Guessing this means a pump failure as water does not circulate properly. Correct me if I am wrong please.

If one tube is hot and the other room temperature the the pump is not pumping water through the loop.
AIO's are "popular" but not the greatest cooling investment. Most die within a few years. Either the pump fails or the microfins on the CPU cold plate gets clogged.

Solution
Jul 23, 2021
So it is actually a pump failure then, right? I guess I am replacing the aio with a decent fan cooler then. Thought the AIO would last more than a year though... wasnt a good investment for sure.