Random Powerups

G

I have a K7M board with AMD-500. Built it about a year ago, runs fairly stable, actually pretty good on the hardware side. Recently my system started turning itself on, like hours after it had been turned off, say 5 am. Doesn't do it always, never the same exact time. BIOS is 1008, and I'm going to flash to 1009, but I don't think that will help. It is set to stay off after power interruption, and is behind a ups. It can't be a hacker, because I am using a modem, not DSL or Cable. I've reinstalled 98se fresh, still the same. Only thing I can think of is a faulty power supply? But where is it getting the signal to power on. Obviously it doesn't do it when I turn the ups off. Any suggestions? Oh, and it is physically shut down, not in sleep mode, or suspend.

DSutcliffe

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Could be a faulty motherboard, but more than likely it might be a setting in the BIOS. My buddy's computer had random power ups until he turned off the "Wake on Ring" function. Good luck and let us know if you fix it.

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've got the same system and never experienced that...hmmm...

I thought I remembered something in Norton Antivirus that allows for system startup to scan the computer at a convenient time...that or Windows scheduler had some feature like that (enabled scan/defrag system). Just a stab in the dark.

Also, did you try the system without using the UPS?

Luck to you!

TazMo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
In my computer's BIOS there are some settings related to wake on ring wake on lan etc. It's a few screens down into the BIOS but there are settings that allow it to wake up at set times of the day, wk etc. I think it's in Wake on Events. Since I've never used the function I couldn't say for sure that it could turn the computer on from a shut-down mode, but I'd start there.

In the wake on events there is also a way to set wake on by activity from ports PCI slots etc. If your UPS is connected to the computer via a serial port or something then it might be that the wake on function is enabled for the port that the UPS is connected to. For some reason the UPS is sending a signal to the port, the computer senses activity and turns on.

Otherwise your computer is possesed...or your house is haunted...

G

Apparently that was it, after I turned off the Wake on Lan and Ring, it stopped doing it. Can't imagine why it would wake up like that unless there is no real "off" mode, just soft off...