Random Reboot Sis648

victorcao

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
Okay I'm in dire need of help here. I have a MSI SiS 648 Max-L mobo with a 2.4 GHz Intel P4.
512 MB of Samsung RAM
Duro 400 Watt power supply
Geforce 4 Ti4400
Seagate 80 gb HD
Win2k Pro

The problem is that I get these constant reboots for no apparent reason. I've tried under WinXP and Win2k thinking it was an OS problem. I've checked to see if it was a video card problem too (had an ATI card in here). Now I'm beginning to think its either the RAM or power supply. I'm scared to even write this post in the event it reboots on me again. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Check your 12 volt rail reading with either msi's hardware monitor or the bios monitor. If the reading is below 11.7, chances are it's the power supply. You can also try different settings for memory timings. I use case 2.5, 6-3-3 for my pc2700.

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Dude thats the mobo hosing on you. Flash your CMOS, update the BIOS, and reinsert the CPU, RAM, and AGP. Most likely the mobo needs replacement. Something in the cpu and/or ram interface is hosed on the mobo. Ran into this problem constantly in the past with SOYO boards.

Your power supply could be dropping voltage enough to do this too but reboots would happen during the bootup into windows more often than the reboots while in windows. Getting a PSU with PFC is a great option and do not really need for it to be powerful so it saves on the power bill a little.

However Im still leaning toward the MOBO on this one.

victorcao

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
My voltage settings are okay. I think it might be heat. The chip is getting up to 107 F. That can't possibly be good can it? Is that what might be causing the random reboots?

Thanks,

-Victor

Your 107 temp is good. My p4 runs at 115-130 under load. The motherboard temp should be in the mid 30's celcius. If changing the memory timings doesn't work, I would return the board for a credit, and get something else. If you have two identical sticks of pc2700 or pc3200, I would go with the abit is7. If you only have one stick, asus has an sis 648fx board that supports the new "c" p4 cpus.