Question Random storage issues

austinl93

Honorable
Feb 1, 2015
I am having some random storage issues. All day yesterday my pc was saying in my secondary drive I had 110 gigabytes free. Now today I haven't downloaded, uninstalled, installed, or changed anything at all. Tonight it's saying I have 305 gigabytes free. It randomly does that. I don't know how to fix it. Last week I had 400gb's free didn't install anything and it dropped to 110 as I said.

Now it's back up to 300, should I delete windows and do a fresh install of windows? If I did would it fix these irregularities?

Lutfij

Titan
Might want to list your storage devices that are connected to your system and a screenshot of the drive structure(s). Might want to take a look at your OS version and resource monitor to see if your HDD is being taxed even when idle.

austinl93

Honorable
Feb 1, 2015
Might want to list your storage devices that are connected to your system and a screenshot of the drive structure(s). Might want to take a look at your OS version and resource monitor to see if your HDD is being taxed even when idle.
I've looked into my storage usage on my drive and it makes absolutely no sense. In my other section it's estimated to take up 1.06 terabytes worth of space but the largest folder showing up is only 91.1 gigabytes. The second is 8 gigabytes. Everything showing up only adds up to about 110 gigabytes. I don't know where the missing almost 1 terabyte is at... The rest of the categories look normal the second largest one being about 500 gigabytes but that's where all my games are stored...

austinl93

Honorable
Feb 1, 2015
I found what the issue was. Apparently windows backs my pc up every week. I don't know how to outright turn it off since I thought I already had it turned off. But my system backup had 975 gigabytes of previous backups. So I cleared them all since I've never restored my pc from a backup I just fresh install windows instead.