Question Random stutter in some games linked to sharp drops in GPU usage.

Jan 11, 2020
In some games recently I will get random stutter. I've monitored it with afterburner and my gpu usage will be normal for whatever game i'm playing but occasionally it will drop sharply down causing frames to plummet for around a second then pop back up. Usually it will do this 2 or 3 times in quick succession then it will be normal for a couple of minutes or 5 mins then happen again. This doesn't happen with all of my games. I've noticed it recently when trying to play Dark Souls 3 and lego star wars the force awakens. For some reason it seems that I can play Destiny 2 maxed out without this issue aswell as the witcher 3 and dark souls 1. The only thing I installed before playing dark souls 3 was ds4windows so I could use my ps4 controller since my xbox one controller was messed up. I highly doubt it was ds4windows causing the stutter because I did a system restore from a point before I installed it and its still happening.

I've already tried reseating my ram and gpu. Using DDU to uninstall drivers and installing the newest ones. Also tried some older driver versions but would still get the same stutter. Removing all overclocks from ram/cpu and gpu. Using high performance mode in the nvidia control panel. Using high performance in windows power options. Ive had a problem similar to this a while back on bf1 but that issue was caused by standby memory not clearing in windows 10 but I fixed that by creating a standby memory clear task so I don't think that is causing this.

My Specs:

CPU: Intel i7-7700k

GPU: GTX 1080 TI

RAM: Gskill Trident Z 2x8GB 3200Mhz

Mobo: Asrock z270 Gaming K6

SSD1: Samsung 850 Evo 1tb

SSD2: Samsung 860 Evo 1tb

PSU: EVGA supernova 750w 80+ gold

Afterburner logs when playing dark souls 3 View: https://imgur.com/gallery/LEyd6pu

Jan 11, 2020
Turns out it was my xbox one controller. I was using the 2019 drivers and it didn't matter if I was using it wirelessly or plugged in it would still do it. I downloaded some old drivers (https://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/information/17648/ ) and it seems to have fixed the problem. Can't use it wirelessly now but at least its fixed. I'll reply to this tomorrow after I have tested it longer and made sure that was it.

TRENDING THREADS