Nov 11, 2019
Hey all, I don't know that much about PC building just to state and please forgive some ignorance. I have built this PC about a year back and around 2 months ago I started to see some random stutters in any game I play (league of legends, osu!, destiny 2, CODMW, borderlands 3 and so on). I cleaned my PC, looked around anywhere I could find online help and followed other peoples solutions and still came up with nothing close to a fix. Any idea would be appreciated, Thanks!

My specs
Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E
Intel Core i7-9700K
Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB
Trident Z RGB DDR4 3200 (32G)

an example on osu!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq08pW1zZu8&feature=youtu.be

Solution
HDD storage is fine

Run Hwinfo64, check sensors only box. Then look for core #0 core#1 etc in the cpu category like the picture below (bottom of this picture). There are current temps and Distance to TjMax. TjMax is how much room you have before hitting maximum temp.

HWiNFO64-v5.34-2930-Sensor-Status.png

Nothing really popping out at me in task manager. Though there are some items in there im unaware of like Blitz, osu, Meshmixer and some others. If nothing works, could try disable startup items and see if anything there is causing problems.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4026268/windows-10-change-startup-apps

Windows defender is fine. I don't...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Some of the causes;

Cpu/gpu temps under load and throttling.

Not enough remaining storage space left where Windows/games are installed.

Background running program, malware/virus, process consuming cpu & memory resource.

Check temps with HWinfo64 when stutters happen. Or use Msi Afterburner osd to display stats in game. There are youtube guides how to setup Msi Afterburner osd - on screen display.

Check cpu/memory usage in task manager. Assort order to list highest to lowest and see if anything looks weird. Google the process if curious of what it is.

Nov 11, 2019
forgot to add that I don't use an anti virus. I just use windows defender

(side note, before I upgraded my case and get new cooling and fans I had some times were I ran my pc so hot it shut down about 3 times, might that be an issue?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
HDD storage is fine

Run Hwinfo64, check sensors only box. Then look for core #0 core#1 etc in the cpu category like the picture below (bottom of this picture). There are current temps and Distance to TjMax. TjMax is how much room you have before hitting maximum temp.

HWiNFO64-v5.34-2930-Sensor-Status.png

Nothing really popping out at me in task manager. Though there are some items in there im unaware of like Blitz, osu, Meshmixer and some others. If nothing works, could try disable startup items and see if anything there is causing problems.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4026268/windows-10-change-startup-apps

Windows defender is fine. I don't think you have a virus but Malwarebytes is a good tool.

I ran my pc so hot it shut down about 3 times, might that be an issue?

Could be. Whats too hot? If it shut down yeah, not good.

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Hwinfo on another monitor is it?

Temps seem fine.

When you get time, try record a video of in-game and use Msi Afterburner to display cpu speed, temps, usage (total usage, not usage for every core. Total usage is the cpu without a number, you'll see it in the list of what to display), ram, fps, and gpu temp.

Nov 11, 2019
The temps seem alright. Have you tried reverting to an older nvidia graphics driver?Sometimes a simple driver reinstall/ revert fixes stutters like these
reinstalling did nothing for me. After you asked this I looked to revert to test out an older version and I found that there is a new version to download. I will try it out and report back

TRENDING THREADS