Oct 14, 2019
Hello,
I brought the CPU, RAM, and Mobo last Saturday. There were a few issues since the beginning like slow startup, No display (GPU not working) etc. All of the other issues have resolved except for the freezing issue. The PC freezes randomly even when it is not under heavy workload or not while running a game. Most of the time it is one application that freezes at a time like Chrome or the Windows file manager etc.

The only change I have made to the BIOS settings is turned on the A-XMP to overclock the RAM bus speed to 3200 (was 2133 or something by default). All other settings are left Default or Auto.

I have installed all the suggested drivers and utility software by MSI and GPU driver. UPdated the BIOS to the latest version. I have also done a clean install of Windows. But nothing improved. I don't even know if it is a software issue or hardware compatibility issue or anything else. This has been driving me crazy for the past couple of days. I badly need an expert's suggestion. If you need more insight, don't hesitate to ask. Please help.

Configuration:
CPU: AMD R5 3600
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws-V 8GB 3200MHz
Mobo: MSI B450M Mortar Max (Updated to the latest BIOS)
GPU: Gigabyte RX 560 4 GB DDR 5
PSU: Corsair VS 450

N.B. UEFI is deactivated as both SSD and HDD are in MBR format.

Update:

It seems that the freezing issue is resolved. I followed this tutorial.

I was playing Far Cry 4 yesterday and after playing for about an hour, the PC restarted suddenly. I discussed with some of my friends and they suggested that my power supply is underpowered or not strong enough to supply enough power to the components (CPU or the GPU) when they are in need. What do you guys think? Should I replace my Corsair VS450?

Last edited:
Solution
Yes, he should get latest BIOS, but, were the B450's BIOS incompatible, he'd have never even gotten a POST display with it, much less booted, so I'd guess the BIOS is at least from late June/early July to support Ryzen 3000...

Instead of hoping your B450 is flawlessly stable at 3200 MHz XMP profile with that RAM (you should be running dual channel RAM with a pair of sticks from a matched set when possible, btw, vice a single stick, which limits RAM bandwidth), in the interim...try a lower clock speed profile such as 2400 or 2666 MHz instead of jumping straight to 3200 MHz, which not all B450 boards handle.
Yes, he should get latest BIOS, but, were the B450's BIOS incompatible, he'd have never even gotten a POST display with it, much less booted, so I'd guess the BIOS is at least from late June/early July to support Ryzen 3000...

Instead of hoping your B450 is flawlessly stable at 3200 MHz XMP profile with that RAM (you should be running dual channel RAM with a pair of sticks from a matched set when possible, btw, vice a single stick, which limits RAM bandwidth), in the interim...try a lower clock speed profile such as 2400 or 2666 MHz instead of jumping straight to 3200 MHz, which not all B450 boards handle.

Solution