Discussion [Rant] I Love Linux Mint but . . . . . . . .

ryu750

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I have been using Linux Mint on my work PC, and it's awesome—I love it. I installed it at home, and it runs smoothly. Using it is enjoyable, and it feels good overall with apps. The only issue is gaming.

I installed World of Warcraft on it, and it ran flawlessly for a few days. Then, it started to slow down and get some frame skips here and there. I did some research, and shutting off FTPMS fixed the issue, and the system ran great again for a few days. However, the game started frame skipping again 48 hours later. I wanted Linux Mint to be my new OS so badly that I upgraded to an X3D processor. While it did get me more FPS, the micro stuttering was still there.

The rant is that I love Linux distros and have been using them on and off for 15 years. I just wish non-supported software worked better. If it did, I would lose Windows in a heartbeat. [Rant Over].

I went back to Windows, and the game runs flawlessly at max FPS.

Hey there,

I just wish non-supported software worked better. If it did, I would lose Windows in a heartbeat.
Well, this is the same thing for the last 20 years. Linux is better (and maybe it is!) bla bla. But, 'it doesn't game'. It will continue to be the story for many years to come no doubt.

Similarly I've tried out a few distros. Some of which work really well and look amazing. But, I'm a gamer first and formost. So it's Windows or nothing for me.

It is a pity though that most games aren't written explicitly for Lnux. Then the games would run better.

Last edited:
Reactions: ryu750
Mar 25, 2024
I've had similar thoughts and problems when it comes to gaming on Linux.

I started out using Linux Mint for gaming. My first issue was getting Nvidia drivers for my GPU, so I switched to Endeavour OS since they would automatically be installed.

All of the games I usually play on Steam will likely work with Proton. For example, Fallout: New Vegas runs like it does on Windows when played on Linux through Steam. I haven't tested it on new hardware, but I didn't notice anything game-breaking like frame stutter.

Most of my related misery and woe stems from attempting to use Vortex or MO2 to modify my games. I follow tutorials and do trial and error, I haven't had much success yet. Although, I haven't asked for help either. My issue is that Vortex won't automatically detect my games, and I can't manually find my Steam library in the file directory that Vortex uses. MO2 has also stopped working for some reason and freezes when I use it.

All this trouble simply because Vortex is a Windows-only program without any form of official support on Linux, as far as I know. My experience has been rather perplexing, especially since I'm not very experienced in gaming on Linux. I have used Ubuntu for years as a desktop but never to fully replace my Windows system.

Yeah, I tried a few distros for about a year with a threadripper 1950x and 5700xt system, and gaming was always a weird situation with it, some worked great and even better than on windows, some ran, but was not good where it had zero issues on windows.

And other driver issues, I like Linux as well but it just isn't for me yet, I'm not sitting there fighting in the terminal try to figure things out and get something partially working when I could just install windows and be done with it.

Have you tried PopOS by chance? That Distro seemed to have the best chance with games for me.

Maybe once day MS will get so bad I'll force myself on Linux again, maybe by that time, its not so much of a fight on some things.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I have been putting off switching my Windows HTPC to Linux for a while. These days I really just need a browser, file storage/networking, and a video player.

At the moment I have an Intel A380 in there. My understanding is I need at least Kernel 6 to get native Arc support. Which is leaning me towards the more bleeding edge distros like Arch.

Though it looks like Steam OS is on 6.x now, so might be worth another look for my gaming box too.

I should add I have a silly idea of getting the big Battlemage card and water cooling it for no reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: 35below0 and ryu750

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
yes i could, but my goal is to abandon Windows.
You could have the best of both worlds.

Long time ago i dual booted Win XP and Debian, and 90% of the time i was using Debian. 90% of the games though, i played in XP. :geek:
Over time, i had some reliability problems with Debian, and big problems with updates. When i moved to a new computer i stuck Win 7 on it and never felt the need to dual boot. ...ok that's not entirely true, i did encounter many annoyances and issues with Windows but none were deal-breakers. Overall Win 7 was probably the best one.

Using Mint, but gaming in Windows seems like a fair choice.

I love it. I installed it at home, and it runs smoothly. Using it is enjoyable, and it feels good overall with apps. The only issue is gaming.
Between your thread and my son wanting to for a while switch to POP OS on his computer I have now jumped back in with a spare computer of my own. It's now installed and letting it do updates.

So I asked my son what if any issues with games have you had. He said Doom 3 BFG edition worked the first time but now has issues. Everything else he has tried has worked.

So what the heck maybe I will learn something on the side messing around with the POP OS and gaming as I messed with it a while back and was impressed.

I have tried Ubuntu on and off all the way back to maybe 2008 heck there was also a Lindows version on Linux but gaming was not very good back than but POP OS seems to deliver.

You could have the best of both worlds.

Long time ago i dual booted Win XP and Debian, and 90% of the time i was using Debian. 90% of the games though, i played in XP. :geek:
Over time, i had some reliability problems with Debian, and big problems with updates. When i moved to a new computer i stuck Win 7 on it and never felt the need to dual boot. ...ok that's not entirely true, i did encounter many annoyances and issues with Windows but none were deal-breakers. Overall Win 7 was probably the best one.

Using Mint, but gaming in Windows seems like a fair choice.
I think the best of both worlds would be to build a system capable of passthrough and run a virtual machine. I plan on doing just this here soon or well playing with the idea with one of them cheap chinese dual x99 boards.

I kind of don't like to have to reboot just to switch to an OS then reboot again to go back, I would love to have the ability to immediately switch back and forth, I guess 2 physical systems could do this with a simple KVM but idk.

USAFRet

Titan
A few years ago, one of my kids (mid 20's) and friend was staying with us for the summer.

I gave them one of my laptops to use. Ubuntu.

They didn't realize that it wasn't "Windows".

She had been trained for years by having FireFox as the default browser on our home systems.
But, their use case was only web browsing and webmail.

Fast forward a couple of years, eldest grandson.
I gave him the same laptop.
After about 2 days, much bitching about it. Basically, Games <-> Linux.