Question Raspberry Pi 3 fails to continue booting from SSD after reboot

Jul 26, 2019
I have two Raspberry Pi 3's (BlackPi and WhitePi by color). Both run Buster from SD card. I cloned the SD card to two powered 2.5 SSDs. BlackPi SSD has Nextcloud installed. The second SSD has Apache web server and PHP installed. Both SSDs will boot on BlackPi, but neither will boot WhitePi from a powered USB hub or USB3/SATA cable. WhitePi boots from the SD card only. Is there a line of code missing related to OTP or cmdline.txt (or something even simpler)?

Also, I have been though the steps of reformatting WhitePi and reinstalling Raspbian from scratch twice. It will work in WhitePi for several days of use then stop being a bootable drive (except in BlackPi).

Jul 26, 2019
The 3B I believe requires a boot bit set to natively boot from USB while the 3B+ has that bit set by default.
Have a look at this, https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bootmodes/msd.md
I have used that step before and get the proper otp_dump of 17:3020000a after modifying /boot/config.txt, but the WhitePi_3 still does not boot from the SSD that works in the BlackPi_3+. The two volumes on the SSD are 'boot' and 'rootfs'. They mount on WhitePi_3, but it still only boots from SD.

Last edited: