News Raspberry Pi celebrates 12 years as sales break 61 million units

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
At 6am GMT on February 29 2012, I was there, eager to secure my first Raspberry Pi from one of the resellers. I had RS Components and Element 14 websites loaded into tabs,
I bought mine like 6 or 8 months later. I'd heard they were in high demand, so I decided I'd wait. For my patience, I was rewarded with double the RAM!

What I liked most is that it shared the same foundations as my PC that ran Ubuntu, since both distros are downstream of Debian. In general, I loved the idea of having a board with the convenience and low power of an embedded computer, but the generality and software suite of a regular Linux desktop/server.

GoofyOne

Reputable
Apr 4, 2021
I think it's a great teaching tool but maybe they should just concentrate on that, having it as a cheap SBC for teaching purposes. The Pico Pi is great also, for experimenting.

There is alot of competition now. Every Tom, Dick, and Jane is coming up with 'this is better than the Raspberry Pi' products and maybe they need to rethink how they (those that design the Pi) want to move forward. These days you can get quite cheap secondhand laptops, and mini pc's and such.

Maybe just a board that plugs into a standard USB2/3 port, and has a Raspberry Pi GPIO, that can use most of the same HATs and such, that sort of thing might be a good training/learning tool.