Question Really high ping only at night time?

kmcmorrow135

Reputable
Mar 26, 2016
So I built my gaming pc about a year ago and initially I had no problems playing games at any time of the day, but recently I've been experiencing terrible connection at night time, from about 6pm to 11pm. Most people have told me that it's because a lot of people in my area start using the internet when they get home from work/school and thats why it slows down, which does make sense, but I'm still getting the same speeds at night, I have no problem watching streams on twitch or anything like that, there's just a huge difference in online games. During the day I get about 30 ping, but at night its usually 700-1000 and I notice I get some packet loss. Also one other thing to note is that most people in my area are at home all day now due to the virus outbreak, but I still only get bad connection at night. Lastly, I'm connected via ethernet while my brothers ps4 is connected through wifi, yet he has no issues at all. Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Feb 28, 2020
Honestly I dont know much about internet connections except the fact that I have faced internet issues for a while now. The same exact thing used to happen to me but My internet was good at night and bad during the day. From what people told me, the issue was because people around me used the internet during the day but not much at night. Have You possibly tried connecting via wifi and not Ethernet?

kmcmorrow135

Reputable
Mar 26, 2016
Honestly I dont know much about internet connections except the fact that I have faced internet issues for a while now. The same exact thing used to happen to me but My internet was good at night and bad during the day. From what people told me, the issue was because people around me used the internet during the day but not much at night. Have You possibly tried connecting via wifi and not Ethernet?
I'd have to buy a wifi card because my motherboard doesn't have onboard wifi, When my pc was located far away from my modem I used broadband extenders and still had the same issues, I thought by switching to ethernet I'd fix the problem but sadly not, thanks for your suggestion :)