[SOLVED] Really messed this one up! Can't use keyboard/mouse - BIOS problems

AdamHFF

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2016
I have been really messing around with an older computer because I am trying to do a dual boot raid 0 with ubuntu/windows 10. I messed it up so much I should be proud of myself but I am just crying. I installed windows on the raid 0 drive and then to get the ubuntu installation to work I changed the bios to AHCI. This part is hard to explain, but I tried a lot of different BIOS settings to get it to work (boot up the live usb, it wasn't being detected). I realized I messed it up and I set everything to optimized defaults, that didn't work. Then I upgraded (flashed) the bios. Didn't work. so I changed more BIOS settings and now it's not picking up anything from usb. no mouse, flash usb's or keyboard. - Yes I should not have messed with it, I've given up on dual booting with RAID for now but I cannot install anything on this thing, luckily it is my older computer and I do not really need it.

So now I most likely need to reset it to factory default but I can't use my keyboard(i tried 2 keyboards). - I could not find the CMOS battery and taking the clear cmos pin out of the motherboard was a bit beyond me, but I took it out and put it back in. I also tried this thing where you turn off the power supply and hold the computer's power button.

Oh yeah it was showing "no OS found" through the majority of this.

This is a gigabyte motherboard: gigabyte ga-78lmt

😭🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Solution
The CMOS Battery : It is round and shiny and says cr2032 in most cases. It should be easy to spot with a flashlight, because of the shiny surface. Take it out for at least a minute while the computer is turned off. It might be better to wait for a couple of minutes before you take it out, once you´ve unplugged the pc from the chord. Then you put it back in. Maybe you should even get a new one if you had some issues with the bios and if the computer is a couple of years old. It is just a three volt battery. I replace those every couple of years.
I have been really messing around with an older computer because I am trying to do a dual boot raid 0 with ubuntu/windows 10. I messed it up so much I should be proud of myself but I am just crying. I installed windows on the raid 0 drive and then to get the ubuntu installation to work I changed the bios to AHCI. This part is hard to explain, but I tried a lot of different BIOS settings to get it to work (boot up the live usb, it wasn't being detected). I realized I messed it up and I set everything to optimized defaults, that didn't work. Then I upgraded (flashed) the bios. Didn't work. so I changed more BIOS settings and now it's not picking up anything from usb. no mouse, flash usb's or keyboard. - Yes I should not have messed with it, I've given up on dual booting with RAID for now but I cannot install anything on this thing, luckily it is my older computer and I do not really need it.

So now I most likely need to reset it to factory default but I can't use my keyboard(i tried 2 keyboards). - I could not find the CMOS battery and taking the clear cmos pin out of the motherboard was a bit beyond me, but I took it out and put it back in. I also tried this thing where you turn off the power supply and hold the computer's power button.

Oh yeah it was showing "no OS found" through the majority of this.

This is a gigabyte motherboard: gigabyte ga-78lmt

😭🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️
It looks like the bios bat is located between the pcie/pci slots.
Round thing about the size of a nickel.

I would need to see this bios clear jumper but I don't think taking it off and then putting it on will clear the bios.

Nice Nicer

Commendable
May 24, 2021
The CMOS Battery : It is round and shiny and says cr2032 in most cases. It should be easy to spot with a flashlight, because of the shiny surface. Take it out for at least a minute while the computer is turned off. It might be better to wait for a couple of minutes before you take it out, once you´ve unplugged the pc from the chord. Then you put it back in. Maybe you should even get a new one if you had some issues with the bios and if the computer is a couple of years old. It is just a three volt battery. I replace those every couple of years.

Last edited:
Solution