Question Reasoning behind the different BIOS updating methods on motherboards ?

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
What's the reasoning behind how different brands update the BIOS? Asus, Acer and Gigabyte all either received BIOS via Windows, Their Respective Centers, Update Tools in Windows or old fashioned flashing.

MSI on the other hand forces you to install the BIOS from a cold start and this I find odd.

No need to read brlow the line unless you want to know why I am asking this.

-----

And problematic for two reasons.
First is a personal issue (probably) and second isn't.

First, I've tried different GPUs and different monitors, BIOS settings, iGPU, I cannot get video from the BIOS unless I enter the BIOS from Windows' Advanced Restart Options. And to flash on MSI boards, you have to use M-Flash which, yup, reboots the PC, ergo no picture, can't see what I'm doing. I've never umhad a motherboard that couldn't flash BIOS files from in the actual BIOS. (Is this some UEFI thing?)

Second, MSI is notoriously picky when it comes to USB drives, so that makes what is supposed to be the Safteynet virtually useless, Flashback. I already had the same board go dead as a brick using flashback with a drive it didn't like.

Now two questions I know will be asked.
1) Why did I buy the same motherboard again.
2) Why am I flashing the BIOS again.

^1) I didn't. Original was open box, wasn't comfortable with that and luckily bought a warranty. Replaced for free in store with a new one since there were no open-boxes to replace it with.

2) Ordinarily, no I wouldn't flash unless there was a reason to. However the BIOS that was on there was so old it wasn't even on their site, if ever.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Each platform will have their own method of delivery systems. HP, Dell and Lenovo are brands that will bundle their payload into an executable. If you're referring to all the big brand board makers, hen the ideal way to flash the BIOS is to do so manually using a flash drive and in the BIOS window/portal/screen. Helps eliminate any mishaps. All of the brands mentioned above in your OP have had their own mishaps when using an app to update their BIOS, MSI have been known to brick their own boards courtesy of their Dragon Center app...in the past, which lead folks to steer clear of MSI boards.

Prior stated, I've had to flash the BIOS on an HP Pavilion gaming pedigree laptop and the BIOS flashing process croaked. I had to create a BIOS recovery tool using an USB drive and a spare computer, tap a couple of keyboard keys on the laptop to trigger a BIOS recovery process.

Second, MSI is notoriously picky when it comes to USB drives
You should be fine with an older pen drive that's branded and has an LED at the end of it, to signify if it's being accessed/processing is taking place. I have a couple of pen drives from era's past and I need to alternate between some drives when another one wasn't working even though it worked fine on another platform, entirely > welcome to the world of troubleshooting.

You've created a thread about motherboard BIOS flashing, what is the model to the culprit MSI board?

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
Well add that to the forum migration issues. My sig is gone with my specs.

As for the flash drives, I tried about 20 different ones (on the first board). Ranging from USB 1 to USB 3, all brand names, all below 16GB and all FAT32 freshly formatted via Disk Management.

BOARD: MSI EDGE Z690 DDR4 WIFI

most mainboards should be already ready for bios updates through operating system (capsule updates), it gets stored into secure memory buffer and after reboot it starts updating bios, its part of UEFI 2.8 specs
but it doesnt forces any mainboard maker to enable that feature, but MSI should have it available aswell, unless you disabled it?

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
most mainboards should be already ready for bios updates through operating system (capsule updates), it gets stored into secure memory buffer and after reboot it starts updating bios, its part of UEFI 2.8 specs
but it doesnt forces any mainboard maker to enable that feature, but MSI should have it available aswell, unless you disabled it?

Nope, looked everywhere and changed the wording, everything points back to M-Flash or Flashback

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
How did you come across that? MSI Live did not show up in a single search. I'll have to see if it applies to my board.
Thanks for sharing that.

I'll post back for anyone about it in a few hours.

Last edited by a moderator:

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
they also depend what Tier your motherboard is .
the high tier motheboards you can update with a usb flash and simple button on the back panel .
it's not only about brand
but at the end of the day they're all downloadable on the manufacturers site .
e