lockac

Reputable
Dec 6, 2015
Good evening guys

Im sorry if this has been posted before but Ive look on here but unable to find what I'm looking for.

I have a marvell 9230 raid card. It's setup with 2 x 4tb drives in a raid 1. I also have another usb drive which has a weekly backup of the raid. Now one of the drives has died. So I've brought a new drive to replace the failed one. I was assuming I could rebuild the array so that working disk would update the new one. However I'm not sure how to cannot find any documentation on what to do. Last thing i want to do is lose working disk.

I can see following

HBA 0: Marvell 0
|- Virtual Disks
| L [D]Data
| L HDD 1: WDC WD40EFX
|
L Free Physical Disks
L HDD 0: WDC WD40EFRX

If I select [D] Data I get a menu with rerbuild the Array option . Thats what Id expect to have to do. But I would like is conformation if this should add the other disk into array and rebuild back raid 1 mirror. Before I go ahead

Solution
So rebuild just does not want toe rebuild left it over night and most of today nothing. just keeps stopping after a few minutes. delete the new disk from arrary and tried again this time its stuck on 0% after 2hours+ Absdoulty pointless device if you cannot rebuild an array once degraded
Initialize a whole new array, and recover the data from your backup.

This is one of the many reasons not to put too much trust in a RAID 1.
But I know my QNAP will rebuild a degraded array, because I tested it. At least rebuild a RAID 5.

lockac

Reputable
Dec 6, 2015
So rebuild just does not want toe rebuild left it over night and most of today nothing. just keeps stopping after a few minutes. delete the new disk from arrary and tried again this time its stuck on 0% after 2hours+ Absdoulty pointless device if you cannot rebuild an array once degraded

USAFRet

Titan
Initialize a whole new array, and recover the data from your backup.

This is one of the many reasons not to put too much trust in a RAID 1.
But I know my QNAP will rebuild a degraded array, because I tested it. At least rebuild a RAID 5.

Solution

lockac

Reputable
Dec 6, 2015
Thanks, but if I cannot rebuild raid1 then that makes my raid card pointless and to be honest item not pertaining to do what it should. Is there any raid cards that actually work. with out costing the earth.