creationsof12

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Hi everyone,

I recently built a new PC with the components listed below but I can't get it to post.

Parts:
Motherboard:
Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Pro X version 1.0
CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K
RAM (should be compatible) x2 for 96GB total: G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series (Intel XMP 3.0) DDR5 RAM 48GB (2x24GB) 8200MT/s CL40-52-52-131 1.35V
GPU: NVidia RTX 4090 Suprim (liquid cooled).
PSU: Corsair AXi Series, AX1600i, 1600 Watt, 80+ Titanium

Symptoms:
- Power PC up and everything appears to power on (fans, GPU, RAM lights up, LED's on Mobo, etc).
- CPU LED flashes on for a second and then the DRAM light lights up and stays on for a few seconds before it turns off, flashes the CPU LED again and then the DRAM LED comes on again. This repeats.
- Every couple/few minutes, the machine powers off and back on on its own (power cycles).
- Likely not as important but when I power the PSU on, my CPU cooler lights up. I assume that this is getting power from either the micro usb connector connected to the CPU cooler or via the CPU_OPT connection that it's also connected to. The CPU cooler lights up even when the machine is powered off.

Everything is wired up correctly as far as I can tell (Power to Mobo and CPU, etc).

What I have tried so far:
- Updating BIOS via Q-Flash while machine is powered off. Tried BIOS F3 and F4, both seemed like they installed correctly but neither of them solved the issue. After the BIOS update, the CPU and DRAM LED's will flash on and off, same as before, one after the other.
- I have tried resetting the CMOS (both via shorting the clear CMOS jumper (for up to 30 seconds), while unplugged of course, and via completely removing the battery, holding down the power button for 30 seconds and then letting it sit without the battery for up to 35 minutes. I have also tried resetting the CMOS after each BIOS update, still nothing.
- Tried with 0 RAM sticks installed, 1 RAM stick at a time in A0, 2 RAM sticks at a time in A0 and B0, all RAM sticks at once.
- Using different monitors.
- HDMI port of GPU.
- HDMI port of motherboard.
- Removed the GPU completely.
- Removed M.2 SSD's (2 identical in the main slot and next one down, removed 1 and then tried removing both).
- Checked all cables, all seem good.
- Checked for bent pins, all seem good.

Anyone have any idea what could be going on? I've seen similar things from other people that have used this motherboard with a 14 series CPU... in fact, there are several reports of these exact same symptoms, but for them, a BIOS update and CMOS reset fixed the issue. For me, that has not worked (and I have tried maybe about 5-6 times by now).

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Hoping to get this thing working but I'm starting to think that I have a faulty motherboard, CPU, power supply or something else. I'm not sure what else I can try that I haven't tried already... My next step is to return and replace the Mobo or maybe I'll try to get a Mobo that will post with a 14 series CPU out of the box. I can't believe that we have to go through all kinds of stuff like this just to get this Mobo to post with a 14 series CPU. Again, this appears to be a common issue with this Mobo and 14 series CPU's (and even some later 13 series CPU's). I'm already looking into other Mobo's that work with 14th gen intel GPU's that have the same, similar or better other features than this Mobo... this is frustrating.

creationsof12

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
What kind of cooler are you using for the cpu?
ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 ARGB White Edition.

But I have an update: I actually figured it out: number 1. I had been testing the RAM modules individually and in pairs in the wrong slots, I had been using A1 for single stick tests and A1 and B1 for dual stick tests, instead of A2 and B2 and number 2. It turns out that one of the RAM modules was actually physically damaged and that one was preventing me from booting up. I got the good RAM sticks into A2 and B2 after doing a BIOS update and clearing CMOS and it FINALLY booted up.

Anyway, I'll be returning these G.Skill ram sticks for a replacement set and then hopefully I'll be able to get my 96GB of RAM working on this thing. I must say, these particular G.Skill RAM modules have kind of a poor design, the casing does not grip the PCB of the RAM module... it instead hangs on by the actual transistors, capacitors, etc. so even pressing the RAM into the motherboard could potentially destroy it and that might be what happened here. I've built a lot of custom PC's over the years and had never seen this happen to any RAM module. Then again, it may have been damaged before it got here, not sure. But I definitely didn't force anything to a point where it should break.

Reactions: Fix_that_Glitch